13.5

Brutus - Buttress

You woke up to the sound of the door opening.You let out a groan as you moved to a better position to see who entered. Your body was stiff because of the odd position you slept in. 

You didn't know when you fell asleep but at this point it didn't matter. You let out a yawn as you looked at the door, to see your brother standing there looking at you with wide eyes. 

He whispered your name softly as he looked at you with disbelief, he couldn't believe what he was seeing was real. He hasn't seen you in what feels like a lifetime, which was about maybe 1 year and some months. A part of him didn't wanna believe that you were here, why would you come back after abandoning him and . How could you leave so easily, why couldn't you take them with you. Did you not love him anymore? 

Were you tired of them, is that why you left? 

You opened your mouth to say something but he ran away before you could. You let out a choked sob, tears collected in your eyes as you watched him leave. 

He changed so much, he wasn't the itty bitty child you used to play games with and dressed him up like he was a doll, the child that always cried over the smallest thing. 

Have you really been gone for that long? 

You walked down the hallways, no destination in mind, a piece of bread on your hand that you were slowly eating, you just didn't wanna be in your room anymore. Your grandparents weren't home and neither was Atlas or Alba. The room was more or less empty beside your mother and her child. 

You could hear the baby in the room crying as your mother tried to hush it. You were going to ignore her but you didn't. You don't know what made you go to the room but you did. 

The door was wide open as your mother looked like she was close to a breakdown as she did what she could to could, which wasn't much. 

You took a bite of your bread. 

"Maybe it's uncomfortable with the way you're holding it", you muttered loud enough for her to hear as you leaned on the door frame. She flinched looking at you with a fearful expression before calming down. 

" Y. Yn hi", your mother said looking at you before trying to put her kid into a different position which only made it worse as the kid began to cry more. 

"Have you fed it", you questioned, taking another bite of your bread. You found this scene to be nostalgia and not in a good way. All the times you had to deal with a crying baby because your parents were too busy knocked out on the floor or doing things you couldn't remember. How badly you needed someone to be there for you since you didn't know what to do. The times you begin to cry with the baby because you didn't know how to care for a child, because you were a child yourself. You had your grandparents of course but they weren't always there. 

" Yes! , I fed him not long ago, his diapers changed, he just woke up from a nap, and now he won't stop crying, even you didn't cry this much", she whimpered, her voice full of stress as she looked down at your brother, rocking him to get him to cry. At least you know it's gender now.

You pitied her, you really did. 

And no matter how much you wanted to walk away from her as she did you, and let her suffer. You couldn't. Why? Because you are not her. 

You are not your mother.

You let out a small sigh as you finished your bread and walked towards them, wiping your hands on your pants.

"Give him to me", You stated, looking away from your mother and looking at the crying kid in front of you. 

You didn't wanna be a babysitter, but you also don't wanna fail your brother not being there like you've already done. You knew he was only a baby and he won't remember this moment at all but you will. And it 'll eat you alive for years to come, if you do nothing. 

"No, I gotta do this on my own", Your mother replied weakly, you out looked at her. She was clearly tired and ready to give up. 

" You can do it on your own later, but right now you need help, you might not want to admit that or whatever but right now I'm here, so let me help you", You stated looking at her, she refused to look at you as she stared down at your crying brother. 

She's let's out a sigh as she looks away.

"...Ok"

It didn't take long for you to get him to stop crying, he was just crying to cry like every other baby does. Your mom sat in the rocking chair as she watched you, she was slowly falling asleep but you didn't say anything, she was trying her best to stay awake but it wasn't working out for her. 

You looked at your mother before putting a blanket on her and taking your brother to the living room, turning off the light. You left the door open.