Chapter 5

A/N - I'm 90% cured and still alive 😍 HAPPY NEW YEAR (a little late but oh well)

We've hit nearly 1k reads on this book and I have over 100 followers what-

TW - brief upsetting scene towards end of the chapter ❤️

~~~

I was crazed, unhinged if you will, and definitely playing with fire.

I'd hit a whole new level of low, down bad, whatever you wanted to call it; at least I was self aware I suppose.

I'd tasked Prescott with babysitting the boys for an hour while I 'ran an errand'...he didn't ask questions luckily, and the others were too infatuated by the tv or whatever else they were doing.

And me? Well I was parked outside of The Steam Room at exactly 6:48, knowing full well that Cairo's shift ended at 7. I fiddled with the bottom of my black sweater, tapping the fingers of my unoccupied hand on the steering wheel as I stared at the cafe, debating whether I should just turn around and go back home to the shitshow of my life for the night.

Live a little, Zane.

"Fuck it", I muttered, taking the keys out and opening my door, sticking one leg out before I paused- would he think I was a creep for remembering he'd told me he finished at this time? It had been three days since then. Oh fucking well.

I got out of my car fully, closing the door and locking it, taking the short trip to the cafe door before my mind dared to try and convince me to turn around yet again. I stepped inside, instantly being met by the strong scent of coffee and cake and chocolate- heaven if you asked me.

"Trouble", that damned nickname that I was becoming accustomed to made me relax a little, although glancing around the completely empty place had me on high alert within seconds.

"Are you closed?", I stayed near the door, fingers fiddling with themselves rapidly, "shit, I'm sorry- I thought you got off at 7, I didn't realise-,".

"Woah, damn, breathe", Cairo cut me off, eyebrows raised in alarm, "we close at 7, in ten minutes, which is why it's so empty- you're all good".

Idiot.

"Oh", I breathed out, heat creeping through my cheeks, "sorry".

"All good", he chuckled, "black coffee?". My shoulders sagged and I nodded, shuffling closer towards the counter and leaning my elbows against it as I watched him manoeuvre around the small space.

"Thanks", I said after a moment, watching him nod twice before glancing up at me, giving me a once-over.

"Sweater and sweatpants?", he smirked, "who are you and what have you done with Zane?". I think that was the first time he'd called me by my actual name.

"Thought I'd ditch the suit", I admitted, even though I felt more self conscious in what was meant to be laid back clothing.

"Well I like it, makes you look less stressed", he commented, placing a lid on my cup and smirking when he looked at the card in between my index and middle fingers, "free". I thanked him with a nod, slipping it away before taking a small sip and placing the drink back down, ready to backtrack on what he'd just said to me.

"You think I look stressed?", I inquired, fearing I was fitting the 'grown adult in a teenager's body' stereotype even more.

"You don't exactly look chilled", he shrugged, "not that I'm making a dig, I dunno what your life's like". Probably for the best.

"I know", I nodded, "I'm not...chilled, but I'm okay with that". He hummed, untying his apron and eyeing the three lone brownie slices still on the shelf before proceeding to grab them and stuff them in a paper bag, dropping it in front of me.