Chapter 44

A/N - what a mess of a chapter 😍

This took me YEARS to type with my nails I cannot

~~~

Eighteen and a half hours.

I hadn't seen my brother in eighteen and a half hours.

I was used to Alexander's disappearing acts better than anyone else, but this? This was new territory, he hadn't even come home last night.

"We're going to need a description of Xander, what he was wearing when you last saw him", it had gotten to the point where I'd called the police, and while Marco would probably disapprove of me being on the right side of the law and not coming to him instead, I was beyond worried for my brother's safety first and foremost.

I'd stayed up on the sofa with Prescott last night waiting for him to come through the door, but the pair of us had fallen asleep, and his car was still nowhere to be seen this morning.

"He's an identical twin, just look at him and make notes", Caleb shoved Xavier forwards slightly and cracked his knuckles, "and he never wears anything that isn't black".

"Has there been any conflicts within the house recently? Anything that might have made Xander want to leave the house?", it was hard to recall just one conflict at this point, but it was Xavier who cleared his throat and spoke up.

"I've kinda been giving him the cold shoulder for a while", he admitted and the officer gave him his full attention, "uh, I have sensory issues- I was overwhelmed in school and Xan keeps my spare pair of headphones, he wasn't there to help me because he was ditching school, I've kinda been mad at him since- could it be my fault?".

That was two weeks ago now, and one of the longest periods of time I'd witnessed the twins not getting along.

"It's nobody's fault", Caleb sighed, a horn outside making me jump as I blinked, "that's Theo, we're gonna drive around for a bit yeah?".

Eighteen and a half hours.

"Does Xander have a history of leaving home? Acting out?", the officer asked, I could barely fucking see straight right now, I needed to know he was safe.

"Uh, yeah to both", Xavier had to answer on my behalf, "he has behavioural issues, is that relevant?".

"It helps", he nodded, "can you specify?".

"Oppositional defiant disorder, conduct disorder, intermittent explosive disorder", he reeled off as I pressed a hand on my chest, barely even feeling like I was here right now.

"We're going to draw up a missing person's report, as well as send units out to search for your brother", missing person's report, search for him, "it would be beneficial for someone to stay home in case he comes back".

"We'll stay here", Xavier's voice sounded like he was underwater, I was sitting on the second-to-last step and trying to force myself to calm down, "thank you".

I barely registered the door closing, nor my brother moving in my direction until a hand was placed on my knee and I peeled my eyes open. Xavier's blue eyes were full of hurt, his face portraying nothing but worry- whether it was for me or his twin I wasn't sure.

"It's my fault", I whispered to which he shook his head rapidly, "it is".

"It's nobody's fault", he said quietly, moving from his crouched position and deciding to cross his legs on the floor instead, "I'd know if something was wrong with him, I'd be able to feel it". As much as I'd never believed in their twin telepathy, I decided to cling onto his words right now, attempt to give myself some peace of mind.