Chapter 13

A/N - 😛😛

There's a quote in this chapter that Zane says about Cairo that has me screaming and sobbing someone guess what it is🫡

TW - some upsetting scenes this chapter

~~~

"Cairo!", I'd been both anticipating and dreading this moment for over a week now for two reasons: I was letting Cairo back into my brothers' lives with the hope that he'd be here to stay, and I was deciding to see where whatever we had went- whether it put him at risk or not.

"Now this is the welcome party I was expecting", he grinned as he was forced into a group hug by the others, "you've all gotten taller".

"Chase hasn't", Xavier frowned and Chase rolled his eyes, slapping him on the head, "ow".

"Are you staying for food?", Alexander asked hopefully, face more lit up than I'd seen it in a while.

"You'll have to ask your brother", he gave a one sided shrug as he took off his shoes, placing them side by side near the door.

"Please Zane!", the twins begged, Xavier literally dropping to his knees and clinging onto my ankle.

"Yeah, come on Zane", Caleb chimed in while Chase nodded eagerly, Prescott just watched the situation with an amused expression.

"I don't see why not", I replied and they cheered, "I uh, I need to speak to Cairo upstairs for a bit...can you guys stay down here till we come back?".

"Uh huh", Chase and Caleb strolled off, shortly followed by Alexander.

"Can I show you my new trophy after?", Xavier asked Cairo, bouncing on his heels.

"Sure thing", he chuckled, "we won't be long, yeah?". He nodded and ran off after the others, leaving just Prescott behind; he just watched us for a moment before heading towards the kitchen with a smirk- little shit. Whatever he thought he knew, he was wrong - Cairo and I were just friends.

Kinda.

~

It'd been just over a week since I'd met up with him after his shift, and due to our unexpectedly busy weeks, we hadn't been able to have our trauma-filled conversation until now, December 3rd. To be honest, I was glad we were doing this today, I just wanted to get it over with and prepare for Prescott's 15th birthday, which was on Thursday.

I led Cairo upstairs and to my room, letting him step in first and glancing around as if I hadn't practically deep-cleaned it in here yesterday for his arrival.

"Nice room", he grinned, doing a full 360, "very...you". I lowered myself onto my bed and shuffled back until I was against the headboard, watching him take in the space for a minute.

"What does that mean?", I dared to ask, my room was boring as shit- its only purpose was for me to sleep in it, and I could barely do that.
"It's sophisticated, simple", he shrugged before snorting, "I know you're anything but simple, Trouble".

"Took the words right out of my mouth", I muttered, patting the bed, "I uh, I didn't sleep last night thinking about this".

"Hey, this isn't meant to be an interview or some shit", he climbed onto the bed so he was beside me, hand resting on my thigh, "anything you're comfortable with, and I'll do the same". I nodded, placing my hand on top of his and intertwining our fingers, needing some kind of physical support for the shit I was about to relay to him.

"Our father's a dangerous person", seemed like a fitting way to start, "he's the cause of every bad thing in my life".

"I know the feeling", he winced, giving my hand a squeeze, "take your time".