Chapter 35

A/N - this took ages...

(Probs typos in this I didn't check🧍🏾‍♀️)

TW for most of this chapter ❤️

~~~

"Why is it only Tuesday?", I couldn't help but chuckle as Xavier groaned, swinging his legs from the kitchen island while we all sat at the dining table, "can't we all just take the rest of the week off?".

"You wish", Prescott snorted, raking a hand through his hair, "you like school, more than we can say for this one". He cocked his head towards Alexander who just rolled his eyes, continuing to eat his food.

"School's shit", he shrugged, "you can't tell me you don't agree Cub".

All heads turned towards Caleb who was seated to my left, next to Chase and Aurora. Silence filled the room was Caleb prodded at a piece of salmon with his fork, completely in his own world. August's birthday had been five days ago, and my brother had been reserved, quiet, worrying me, ever since.

I was surprised he'd joined us for food at all.

"Caleb?", Aurora touched his arm lightly and he jumped, his fork clattering to his plate as he snapped his gaze from her to me, then to everyone else. I stole a quick glance at Xavier when I heard his breath hitch due to the sudden loud noise, but returned it to Caleb when I knew he was okay.

"Yeah?", my eighteen year old brother asked, picking up his fork again and chewing slowly.

"I was just saying that you can agree on the fact that school's shit", Alexander filled him in as if nothing had happened, I watched Caleb swallow before giving a small nod.

"Yeah. Right", he cleared his throat and lowered his fork carefully this time as he faced me, "I'm not really that hungry, can you plate this up for later please?".

"Of course", I nodded, watching his shoulders sag as he rose to his feet, exiting the room without another word. I looked at Chase whose eyes were already fixed on the doorway, his hand latched around his girlfriend's on the table.

"Is he okay?", Xavier asked from his place on the counter, "can I eat some of his salmon?". I couldn't help the small smirk that came from me.

"He's grieving", Chase said, tearing his gaze away from the doorway as if it pained him, "he's always gonna be grieving".

"I don't wanna ever grieve if it's like that", Xavier said, scrunching up his face slightly, "Cub's always upset".

"Uh, is there anything we can do to make him feel better?", Alexander asked sheepishly, keeping his gaze lingering in my general direction.

"I think maybe he'd appreciate a hug", Prescott spoke up before I could, and at that, Alexander stood at the same time Xavier jumped down from the counter; the pair of them left the room in the blink of an eye.

"He's trying", I locked eyes with Chase, not knowing whether he was talking about Caleb or our youngest brother, "Xan".

"And he's doing nothing but make me proud", I replied, "all of you". And I meant it.

~

"Who invented school?", I peered over my shoulder at the twins seated at the table, the pair of them doing their homework. Well, Alexander was writing a few words every couple of minutes and Xavier was...trying.

"A piece of shit", my youngest brother scoffed, lifting his head and looking over at me, "are you sure that doesn't hurt Zane?". He eyed me carefully as I wiped my stomach, then positioned my insulin pump over the spot.