Chapter 16

A/N - nearly 3am but what can you do😛

This was meant to be lighthearted the whole way through but apparently I can't stick to that...

Scenes some may find upsetting ‼️ (first scene particularly)

~~~

Thunder.

It rattled the house and made me shiver, I never did like it.

I peered around my room, taking in the grey walls, the dresser with nothing on, the duvet covering half of my body- I was safe, I was okay.

But something wasn't.

Prescott had always called me psychic for being able to tell when bad things were coming, I hated it. Throwing the duvet off my body and standing, I took a deep breath and moved towards the door, opening it quietly as another clap of thunder filled the house, making the walls vibrate and my heartbeat intensify- just make sure they're okay and go back to sleep.

I opened Prescott's door and peered in, his sleeping figure bringing me some peace of mind and allowing me to move to Caleb's. He was sprawled out in his bed, duvet nowhere to be seen, yet a content expression on his face...to each their own I suppose.

Chase was completely knocked out, lying on his back as still as ever, until the thunder clapped again and he turned onto his side, facing away from me.

The twins were both sound asleep on their opposite sides of the room, Alexander looking more at ease unconscious than he did when he was awake, Xavier not bouncing off of the walls for once.

They were all okay.

I closed their door and sighed quietly, go back to bed Zane.

I took three steps before a small cry filled my ears, almost whimper-like.

You're imagining it, go to bed.

I took another step before I heard it again, this time louder, more desperate.

And it was coming from Isabella's room.

Despite every urge in my body warning me to walk away, I couldn't just turn my back.

She doesn't live here anymore, Zane.

You're dreaming this shit.

I crept down the hallway, holding a firm grip on the handle of her bedroom door, the chill of the metal sending a shiver down my spine. I heard the cry again and pulled the handle down, my breath hitching and my body freezing at the sight before me.

My sister, no older than four, sitting on the edge of her bed while Santiago sat beside her, taming her black hair with his fingers.

The same fingers that had bruised me, beaten me, burned me, broken me.

I couldn't move.

I watched as she cried softly, while he shushed her gently, bringing his other hand up and...bringing a gun up to her temple.

I couldn't move.

"Zay", her cries increased and I tried to do something, anything.

I couldn't move.

He looked me dead in the eyes, a smirk tugging at his lips as he kissed Isabella's head and squeezed the gun tighter.

I couldn't move.