Chapter 32

A/N - back again 😛

~~~

"Morning Zane", I turned upon hearing Xavier's voice, he was always the first one up in the mornings, a smile on his face every day without fail.

Considering what Alexander had said to me yesterday, all of their smiles could've been fake for all I knew.

"Good morning", I returned his smile and gestured to the cereal boxes on the table, "sleep well?".

"Eh", he lifted a shoulder, opening the milk, "what happened with Xan yesterday? He won't tell me".

"He had another fight", was all I said for a moment, stirring my coffee, "some...things were said in the car, we'll sort it out".

"What kinda things?", he asked with a frown, " bad things?".

You're worse than him.

All I see when I look at you is him.

"Nothing we can't resolve today", I gave him a small smile and he nodded, "are you ready for school?".

"Who's ever ready for school?", he scoffed, "I hate it there". That was the first I was hearing.

"Elaborate", I took a seat beside him at the table and sipped my coffee, watching him shovel a heap of cereal into his mouth, "it's not going anywhere". He chuckled, chewing a little quicker before swallowing and wiping his mouth with the back of his hand.

"I mean, I like hanging out with my friends- I like lunchtime", he propped his chin on one hand, "but class is hard".

"With your concentration?", I asked and he nodded in reply, putting his spoon down.

"I try in class- my teachers like me, I think I'm their favourite", he beamed, "I have Jake, Asher and Parker sometimes, but people look at me weird when I interrupt or move around".

"And that is completely out of your control", I ran a hand through his hair and grimaced, "you really need to cut down on this gel".

"Like I said, the girls love it", part of me doubted that, "anyway, I'm doing okay in class, it just makes my head hurt".

"Do you want me to speak to your teacher? See if there's anything else that might help?", I offered and he thought for a moment, shovelling more cereal into his mouth and humming.

"I think I'm okay", he shook his head, "pretty sure we have a parent-teacher conference soon anyway".

"I look forward to it", I muttered, peering over my shoulder when footsteps filled the air; Alexander entered the room in black jeans and a black t-shirt. I focused back on my coffee wordlessly while he took a seat at the head of the table, as far away from me as possible; he didn't even have school today yet he was up and dressed.

"I thought you got suspended", Xavier asked his twin, if he sensed the tension in the air he was doing a great job at ignoring it, "I'd still be asleep".

"Well I'm not", he grumbled, "pass the milk".

"Please", Xavier rolled his eyes, sliding it across the table and turning back to me, "I have hockey practice after school, Jake's dad is taking us...can you pick me up please?".

"Of course, what time?", I asked, gulping back at least half of my coffee just as Chase entered the room, "buenas mañanas".

"Good morning", he replied, disappearing into the pantry, "I'm picking up Rory, you want a ride Xav?".

"Sure, when are you leaving?", he asked, I glanced at Alexander who was just swirling his cereal around, head bowed and hand squeezing his spoon.

"Twenty minutes?", Chase shrugged, placing two cinnamon rolls on a plate and sitting at the table, "you look tired".