Chapter 1: Supernatural

I should have listened when they say to be careful what you wish for because I never wanted bloodthirsty hounds to be the ones grabbing at my feet.

Everyone thought I was the 'best' kind of kid. Mature, quiet, and obedient. The kind that never thought to get stuck in a tree and stress my parents. What those adults never knew was that I didn't do it because I was a good kid, I just knew no one would choose to follow me. I had no mother to goad me down and no father willing to risk climbing up after me. Despite that, It's always been my dream to have someone follow me up a tree to save me. It's only now I realized I didn't have a weird tree obsession, it was what it represented, having a person choose me.

—----

The bell rang. "Any questions? Then read chapters 4-8 and write a detailed summary by the end of the week." Our teacher—an old, bald man—said. I was packing up my stuff when I felt a hand land on my shoulder.

"Hey!"

It was Amanda, a girl with steel-grey eyes and hair dyed a pale blue. We've been best friends since elementary school and we're both on the track and field team. We talked as we walked to our usual hangout spot. Five minutes later, we arrived at Gardenia, a quaint little coffee shop that Amanda's family owned. All the students at my school frequent there with the silent agreement that it was a place solely for work and studying, this kept it from getting loud and rowdy.

We opened the door and the small chime from the movement alerted Amanda's mom at the shop counter of our arrival, and she smiled at us. After a small chat, I shuffled into a booth along with Amanda and we got started on our assignment. About an hour in, she had to help out, so I was left alone to focus. Two hours later, I checked my phone and noticed it was after six.

I quickly said my goodbyes and rushed to the grocery store. Since my father works long and hard hours, I do all the cooking and shopping to alleviate his burden. All the deals will be gone if I don't hurry.

The late December air bit at my skin and I could see my breath coming out in puffs. Winter was my favourite season, save for the lack of track and field practice. I turned onto a catwalk as a shortcut; The dark, secluded path felt a little eerie—no one was around and I was next to a forest. I continued walking until I heard a noise from the forest. It's probably just an animal, I sped up just to be safe.

Suddenly, I felt someone grab my hand and I spin back to look at them, it was a seemingly muscular man with his hood covering his face.

"Um, do you need something?" I asked cautiously.

"Yea, Rosalie, I want you to experience what I went through." He pulled off his hood and he had a large scar across his face that ran over the bridge of his nose.

Who is Rosalie?

"Uh," I stammered, thinking about how to get away from this crazy guy. "You've got it wrong, sir, I am not Rosalie nor do I know a Rosalie," I say.

He sighed, "Fine, then. Continue playing innocent, you'll still be six feet under before morning comes."

I hear the mystery man's bones begin to pop sickeningly as he starts to morph into a wolf. It was a little bigger than the size of a small adult horse. Saliva dripped down its muzzle and it lunged at me. I was close to fainting, but my desire to live was the only thing keeping me from falling to the concrete. Once my legs felt like they weren't glued to the ground anymore, I started running and turned into the forest, hoping the dense bushes and trees would cover me.

I looked back behind me and he was at my toes. Thank god I joined the track and field team or I would be dead by now! I jumped over fallen branches and tried to look for higher ground. Suddenly, another wolf appeared in front of me and pinned me down. I struggled against its hold, causing its claws to break the skin, and I cried out. More wolves came out from behind the trees, and I stopped wriggling.

"Don't think you're dying yet, I still want answers. Everyone from all the packs, covens, and families you've hurt do too, you're coming with us." He yells.

"Listen, I don't know who Rosalie is! I seriously am not her" I said, the adrenaline and anger at being accused allowing me to mouth off. He sounds like a broken record. Immediately after, the wolf on top of me shifted and I was held down by another wolf. It was a beautiful woman, however, her face was marred with rage.

"Don't play dumb, you monster! Remember that boy from 17 years ago that you killed. You laughed and taunted me when you saw me begging you not to kill my son!" She sneered,

"I am sorry for your loss, but that was not me!'

The woman was about to speak again when suddenly, a flash kicked the wolf off me and I was picked up bridal style. I looked up and noticed it was Amanda. She started running and when we arrived at her house, she took me to her room and got out the Emergency Kit to clean my cuts.

"So," I said tightly, "is someone going to tell me the truth? And don't you dare lie to me, I know what I saw."

"The people holding you down were werewolf shifters, and I'm a vampire." She looked off to the sides.

"Like in movies?" I would have thought she was joking if I had not seen proof clearly.

"Well, a lot of things in movies about the supernatural community are simply not true, but yes."

"Okay, can I ask how you were turned?" I asked hesitantly, not sure if that was insensitive.

"I don't know, I know how to be turned, which is to ingest the blood of a vampire before dying." She continued, "as for me, I was adopted into a vampire family, so I was able to embrace myself more than others."

"Anyway, it's been a long night. Message your dad and let's have a sleepover." I nodded.

I walked out into the empty hallway and called my father.

"Hello?" He said.

"Hey, father.  I was just calling to ask if I can stay over at Amanda's tonight?"

 He sighed, "Fine, but Valerie, at least try to be more responsible next time and do your chores."  Valerie's heart sunk a little bit.

"Yea, I'm sorry.  I was able to get my work for today done, though.  And I aced my first period math test." Surely this made up for missing some chores.

"yea, uh, Valerie, I need to go, the guys need some help moving a beam."  

"Oh, of course.  See you tomorrow after school."  My eyes began to brim with tears but she quickly wiped them away. Stop being dramatic, its nothing new.

Once my eyes dried up, I jumped onto the bed and rolled over to laid next to Amanda.  She stared up at the ceiling, wringing her hands.  I could tell she was worried. In an attempt to calm her nerves, I grab her hand and smile at her, and she slowly gave a small smile back. 

 Admittedly, It does feel scary knowing it's in her DNA to kill me, but I know she is more than her instincts.  10 years of friendship will not change because of her race.

While lying down in her bed, I remembered the last thing I heard the werewolf man shout: 'As long as you're alive, Rosalie, you will never be safe.'

I need to find out more about Rosalie.

_________________________________________

Hello!  I am new to posting my stories and want to get better so I would love it if you guys could comment any critiques or criticisms you have (in a kind way, please.).  I hope you continue to read on with this story.  I will be updating at least 1 chapter every 2ish days. 

Thank you for reading, 

Kaylee :)