Chapter 5: Training

"Let's start with the basics, a simple healing spell."

A wilted daisy in a terracotta pot was placed in front of me, "Have a clear image of your intentions in your mind."

I closed my eyes and tried to imagine a healthy, fully-bloomed daisy. After a few seconds, I opened my eyes and saw the daisy, as dead as before. I sighed and Auntie clicked her tongue, "Remember what I said: 'no, I'm tired.'"

I nodded.

"Good, now, try again."

We kept at it for hours until finally, something happened.

I peeked an eye open to see a bright light, and a petal was alive again, I turned to auntie to see her give me an approving smirk. "Good job. We'll continue this type of training again tomorrow, but let's practice one-on-one combat until nightfall."

My smile immediately dropped, but I got up, ready to work. I will give my best for my father.

______________________

The next few weeks passed by similarly to my first day, practicing healing and easy spells from dad's grimoire for a few hours, then practicing combat.

The first week was healing with endurance training.

In the second week, we focused on potion-making with offensive training.

The third week was mainly strength training.

And today is the fourth week, where I will learn how to make a contract with a familiar. I was very excited as I imagined something cool like a black cat or a raven like in the movies, but instead, I was told to make a ... insect my familiar.

"What is this?" I looked at Auntie in disbelief.

"A few of the communication butterflies that I bred."

"Well, I can see that, but I was expecting a cool animal, not a bug."

"With our type of magical energy, we can only make contracts with certain beings, and you're too weak for the very strong ones. You can choose either that flower over there," She pointed to a wimpy, wilted pot of gardenias, "or these butterflies. They're cooler than you're imagining though, they are poisonous and can give anyone you choose hallucinations among other things."

This is such a let-down, but I'll try to make the best of it. We went through all my options and the butterflies accepted me, so I made a contract with them and that was the end of training for today.

"A familiar cannot go nameless, give them a collective name."

I looked at the group of butterflies. "Kaleidel." The kaleidoscope glowed and disappeared.

"It seems like they've accepted you. Anyway, today's session is over."

"Thanks for the session, I'll see you later!"

I nodded and with a wave, I left. I'm not too tired today, I should try practicing with my familiar I opened the door and saw a woman about 6 feet and a man around 5 inches taller than her in the middle of the living room.

"We've found her, sir." The woman whispered into the earpiece before punching me in my stomach. I coughed up blood, of course, I can never get a break.

"Get back, Valerie!" My auntie yells and I step back as she chants a spell, her eyes glowing purple. Suddenly, two fireballs are blasted at the two shifters and I heard screams. She grabs my hand and we run to the guest room and I open the window. Good thing it's a one-story house.

I pulled up the glass on the window, "jump!" I said. As I was halfway through the window, I saw the two werewolves at the door with second-degree burns. I jumped down and we ran for our lives into the forest with two angry wolves on our heels. Can these werewolves just let me live, for god's sake?

"Do you have anything that can stop them?"

"I put all my power into the fire spell!"

Suddenly, I felt a wolf claw tear through my back and I tripped. Luckily, my aunt was able to punch it and run away with me to a nearby forest. "Then leave and recuperate, but come back soon," I said

"You're my student, my niece. I can't leave you" She stumbled over her words frantically.

"I've survived their advances before. Just trust me and get help!" She looked reluctant but complied.

"Fine, I'm coming back soon with someone!" I saw her figure retreating into the distance. Time to deal with some mutts, I guess.

"Aw, it seems like you successfully tricked that poor old lady, Rosalie. It's okay, she'll be well taken care of after you're dead." The female shifter said

"When will you get it through your thick skull that I'm not my mother!" I yelled

"Doesn't matter to us, still her kin." She sneered, "Go after the hag." The man beside her nodded.

They changed into their wolf form, and the male wolf bolted to follow auntie. I tried to stop him, but the female wolf charged toward me and almost bit me. "Auntie, the male wolf is coming for you," I warned through a communication butterfly. The female wolf came at me again, I cast tremble: an earth spell that can usually create a very destructive earthquake, but since I'm inexperienced it only made her lose her footing. Luckily, it was enough of a distraction for me to create a deep slice in her stomach. She was a lot slower now, maybe I can beat her!

She bit me on the shoulder and I controlled the vines nearby to make them wrap around her neck, arms, and legs. While she was restrained, I healed myself, my magic is already running low, I need to finish this off with physical strength. I kicked her in the chin, but she managed to clamp her canines on my ankle. Okay, that hurts a lot more than my shoulder did.

I remembered the butterfly then, "Auntie, make the butterfly I currently have out explode when I tell you." I winced.

"OK." She said

I used all my strength to hit the wolf on the head, it released my leg and I shove the butterflies in its mouth. "Now!" I yelled through the butterfly.

"Got it."

Then the shifter exploded. "It's done." I sighed in relief. Wait, that other werewolf is going to auntie right now! I tried to get up but then I remembered that my leg was hurt. I should have just enough magical power left in me to heal it.

After I healed my leg, I headed off to find Auntie.

___________________________

Hey guys, if you read this in january, how are exams for you guys?  I am quite stressed but its going.  Comment what you thought about this chapter and if you have any writing advice, I'd love to know.  Thanks for reading.

Kaylee :)