Chapter 9: Alexios

I hear a relieved huff of breath. "I thought she died, thank goddess. That would not have been fun to explain." Blake said.

"Have some compassion, will you?" Amara said disapprovingly.

"I have plenty." He defended.

I slowly sat up, "You guys can stop acting like I'm not here."

They both turned to me now, looks like they got caught up in their own world again.

"Tell us everything." Amara said. I explained everything about the vampire and how I came back to life.

"All I'm gonna say is I am so happy I'm not special. Special people have it hard." Blake joked.

We ignored Blake's comments, "We should start training since you only have three months until the competition."

"I agree. I've only met two of the competitors and I'm worried."

"It's okay, I'm sure we can find a way to win without being as strong as the other competitors. Intelligence and deception skills are also useful, though it seems Anastasia has quite a bit of the latter." Amara muttered towards the end.

We spent the rest of the class working on my combat skills. My strength and speed have certainly improved, but it is nothing like that of a full vampire. Still, it helps to lessen the gap created by our differing races.

After training, I worked with Ishan to learn more about the history of our vampire coven and the covens in North America.

Once all the classes I had for the day were done, I was exhausted. I hobbled up the stairs and jumped into my bed. Vampires really are on another level, I thought. I must have fallen asleep because when I flipped my phone over to check the time, it was 8 pm meaning 4 hours had passed.

A loud growling sound came from my stomach, and I suddenly felt like something was clawing at my insides. I ran down the stairs to the dining hall, it was late, but hopefully, there would still be some food left.

I swung open the large wooden doors, and sure enough, it was empty save for one guy in the back. I went to the serving line, there wasn't much left, but there was enough that I wouldn't go hungry tonight. After filling my plate, I looked around for a place to sit.

I could sit anywhere, but the empty room and spooky atmosphere of the dining hall made me loathe sitting alone. Instead, I took the seat directly in front of the only person in the room. It was a boy around my age. He had short dark brown, nearly black hair, and striking blue eyes that reminded me of an ocean in the middle of a storm. The boy wore a black soldier's uniform and seemed quite muscular.

He stared at me with a hard expression. "Hello," I waved, "I'm Valerie, I'm new here. What's your name?"

"Is this some kind of joke?" He asked angrily.

"What do you mean?"

"I know you're that vampire's daughter, and everyone knows that now is the only time I can eat dinner. Obviously, you're trying to act all innocent at then say that I hurt you so I would be punished."

"I'm not like that!" I defended, "I don't even know who you were."

"Sure," I could tell he didn't believe me. "Just know that you vampires can do what you want but I will never bow down to you." He sneered before standing up and leaving.

What a rude guy, I looked down and saw his half eaten meal, and wasteful.  Anyway, why's he talking like he's not a vampire either, I thought before remembering his blue eyes. He must not be a vampire, maybe a witch, human or even a werewolf. He was also really tall, a trait commonly found in werewolves, at least, according to Ishan's lessons.