Chapter 20

I felt Kane's eyes boring into the back of my head, causing me to shiver. Please don't come over here, please don't come over here, I repeated in my head like a mantra.

For the past two weeks, I've managed to avoid being alone with Kane but I just had to sleep in. I heard the chair next to me pull out, legs scraping against the floor. "Seems I'm not the only one who lost track of time."

I slowly turned my head to face Kane, grinning toothily. No point getting yourself killed by being rude. "Hello, Kane." I put on a large fake smile that refused to reach my eyes but I doubt he cared with how he was certainly not looking at my eyes. I looked past him to survey the room. Only a few stragglers were still in the dinning hall.

Vampires were the type that believed only the accomplished deserved to laze around and the only ones that used teh communal dining spaces were the workers and lower ranked vampires. Speaking of which, why is Kane here? Kane was not the type to not make use of his money and power.

"This might sound rude but why are you here? You usually don't eat in the communal areas."

His eyes finally lifted to mine. "In all honesty, I wanted to see you." My brows knitted in confusion.

"Why? You see me at training."

"I'm not an idiot, I see how you've been avoiding me." My heart started racing and his eyes flitted to my heart.

"I haven't, I've just been really busy. I've barely even been able to see Blake recently."

He looked skeptical but seemed to accept it. He probably accepted it because that possibility hurt his pride less.

"Fine, I forgive you. Although, I must say, I don't understand how you could eat with the peasants, Val. The few I saw eating were so...messy." He grimaced, avoiding touching the table.

"Well, my friends eat here and they're a clean bunch." Messy eating to Kane was just not using a million different forks and knives to eat one small piece of food.

"Yes those friends of yours. When we get married you have to forget them, especially the mutt, I suspect he has a crush on you." He laughed. My gaze narrowed and I felt myself getting hot in anger. I can't tell what angers me more, him thinking we'll get married or him insulting Xios.

"Married? We barely know each other."

"We know enough. We are both strong vampires that come from a good lineage. No matter who wins the competition, I will be king and you'll be queen. You will have to accept my mistresses and not cheat on me."

My fists ached to punch him, and my mouth wished to curse him out. I knew if I didn't leave, I would do something that couldn't be taken back. I stand abruptly, plates clanking from the sudden movement. "Thank you for the consideration but I'm taken."

"That's fine, just leave him."

"Well, I don't think you want to be seen around a dog lover."

Kane's face twisted into an expression of pure disgust, and out of all the emotions he's felt towards me, this is my favourite. "It seems I've grossly misjudged your character."

"Well, I've always known who you are." My mouth released one last jab before leaving.

__________

Comment your thoughts and leave a vote if you liked today's chapter! :)