Chapter 16: Family Reunion

We walked down the empty corridor leading to the soldier's wing. Most soldiers were still upstairs trying to keep the peace. We kept walking until we arrived in front of Alexios' door.

"I should go in first, it would be horrible to spring this on him." I said.

"Fine, go." I didn't bother to knock and just turned the knob and rushed inside. Alexios looked surprised to see me.

"It's really rude t-" He began but I cut him off.

"Your father is here to see you." I beamed, happy for both Alexios and me. A small smile began to stretch his lips, but then it was replaced with a guarded look.

"What's wrong?"

"Nothing." I could tell something was eating away at him.

"It's obviously not nothing, just tell me."

A pause, "Fine," I couldn't make out what he said next.

"Pardon?"

"I'm 19 years old." He said in a 'duh' voice, "what would they want to do with an adult kid? It's not like have a connection. He's probably just here to make sure I don't take advantage of them."  I had never seen the apathetic guy seem so small and insecure.

"Then I guess I was hallucinating when I saw the sadness on his face when he said you were dead." A small inkling of hope grew in his eyes but it was gone as soon as it came.

His eyes narrowed, "He's probably got a new kid, now. He doesn't need me." 

"Maybe he does, but that doesn't mean that he doesn't have enough love in his heart for two." I sat beside him and grabbed his hand gingerly; like if I moved to fast, he would dart like a cat.    

"What if it's been too much time? What if he doesn't think I'm good enough?" 

"He seems like a good dad, Xios, and you're a good guy so you can't be that bad as a son. You can do it."

He looked into my eyes, "You've really become my best friend, Val."

My heart sped up, "You too." I smiled at him.

I got up a held out my hand, "'You ready to face them?"

"Yea," He nodded.

Alexios wrapped his and around the door knob and twisted until the door gave way to reveal his father.

"You're my father?" With them standing side by side, I could definitely see the parallels. They both and black hair, although the leader's was peppered with white, and clear blue eyes.

"Yes, You are certainly Eiron." Alxios' father's eyes glazed with tears.

"Sir, I do not doubt you but we should use the spell just to be sure." A voice interjected.

The leader seemed displeased, but did not argue. "Meave, use the spell. "

A short woman with pale grey hair braided down her back came forward. She grabbed Xios' hand and clasped hers around them. She started chanting a spell and a green orb of light surrounded their hands. "It is true, leader, he is your son."

Instantly, the leader tightly embraced Alexios. Alexios looked like he wasn't sure where to put his hands before awkwardly placing them on his father's upper back.

Alexios looked at me and mouthed thanks, and I just smiled at him. I hope I can hug my father soon, I thought.

Everyone cleared the room so the father and son could talk, and by now it was 6:00 am. There was no point going back to bed so I headed up to the tech wing. I popped my head in and no one was inside.

I went to the CCTV room and inside was Olivia. Her hair was in a bonnet and she was still in pyjamas.

"Good morning." She said groggily. She was sporting twin bags under her eyes.

"'You okay?"

"Yea. Just a little sleepy. I've been pulling all-nighters for the past week." My eyes widened, yet another thing to add to this palace's crimes, abusing workers.

"Why on earth would you put yourself through that? Is the boss making you do that?" I sat down and gave her a pitying look.

"No, I just thought that if I work really hard, they'll see my value and change my post." 

"I get it if you don't like the work but it's not worth getting sick." 

"It is to me." She snapped, but instantly looked remorseful. "Sorry. It's just...when I was a human, I was sick a lot. I had childhood cancer and it kept coming back, the autoimmune diseases that I was prone to didn't help either." I grabbed her hand, wanting her to feel my support.

She looked away, "I was always watching people live the life I wanted. Dance was my dream and I used to do it, but then, I was too sick to do it most days.  I just never want to spend a day of my life not experiencing the rush of moving and being outside."

I'm not going to live her, the girl stuck in that room."  She looked at me with a look of finality. 

I sighed.  I still don't think its good that she's doing this to herself but after hearing that, there was no way I could stop her.  "I'll help."

"What? No! you've got a Kingdom to run."

 "Nope!  I'm helping. " I shook my head vehemently,  "A queen worth her salt does something to help her people."  She looked ready to interrupt but I held a hand to her mouth.

"We can work the whole day if you want but no nights. It's either that or I'll order you to stay in your position." She mentally weighed her options.

"Fine, but we start at dawn." Just hearing that made me tired.

"That we do."  We smile at each other and get started.