Chapter 21

Someone kill me. I rolled the palm of my hands over my eyes in frustration. If he talks, then we both could be in a lot of trouble. The vampires will think of it as betrayal and I'll lose my support, if I lose my support then the alliance could fall through. If the alliance falls through then... My mind was spiralling.

I tried to think constructively. First, I should talk to Xios and let him know all the trouble I've gotten us in. I ran to the soldier wing but took the more isolated and longer route—the busy, yet shorter route would ultimately result in a much slower arrival—and Kane blabbing to everyone and turning them against me was the last thing I needed right now.

No matter how many times I took this hallway, it was still eerie. Xios introduced it to me so we could avoid people when hanging together. I peered down the long hallway—it had cobblestone wall and had a near abandoned quality with how there puddles of murky water on the floor—luckily it was empty as usual so I could run without fear of hitting someone.

My pace slowed once I saw the cobblestone stairs that lead to the exit. I climbed the stairs and opened the door that opened up into a janitor's closet. I turned the knob and rushed to the training room.

Thank goodness, I sighed out once I saw Kane had not arrived. "Sorry I'm late sir. There was a situation."

His eyes shot up to mine before finishing his explanation. He dismissed everyone but Alexios' kept his gaze on me, the silent question like a scream on his face. I'm fine, I mouthed to him and although he didn't look placated, he left with the others.

"Valerie, you are strong but not better than any one else here. Do not forget, the only reason we're all training now is because you convinced the elders to go to war." I would have told him the truth of the matter—that a war would have happened no matter what—but I felt that the trouble wasn't worth it.

"I understand, sir. It won't happen again." After chewing me out a bit more, the lieutenant dismissed me. I made my way over to Alexios but he already had a partner. It was a short but very strong looking girl and it seemed like he actually needed to work to win, not like with me.

"Sorry, can I borrow him for a minute?" I cut in but grabbed him before she could interrupt. I wished I could feel bad for my rudeness but it felt like every moment he was around he, under my skin burmed.

"What did you need, val?" Xios asked, thankfully not commenting on my behaviour.

"I lied to Kane and dragged you into it. I'm so sorry." I cringed in thought of his anger and disappointment.

"What lie?"

"He somehow got it into his head that he and I were going to get married because were both from strong families. He just made so many rude comments that I said I was dating you and he didn't take it well and in response, I insulted him." I knew I was rambling but I couldn't stop and I was freaking out.

Alexios put him hands on my shoulders in a comforting gesture. "Everything will be okay. Just deny it if he brings it up."

"But who will believe me over him? Other than you." I amended when it looked like he was about to refuse my question.

"Maybe know one but for now, to be safe, we should stay away from each other."

I hated the thought of it but I knew that if I wanted to keep our friendship going, it was something that had to happen. I sullenly nodded before walking off.

_______________

Leave a comment if you have any thoughts and vote if you liked this chapter! :)