Chapter 3: Rosalie - Part 2

"She wrote this letter to you right before her death." He handed me the letter in the tin box.

I was conflicted. She was a monster to innocent people, but she's still my mother who gave up her life to have me. "I would rather read this alone."

I could tell he hated not having control over the situation but he just said, "Alright, I'll have dinner ready for you."  He gave me an awkward pat on the arm and closed the door.

I open the envelope and there was a letter inside, it read:

Dear Valerie,

If you're reading this, you must know a bit about me. I hope you will read this to the end before you learn of all my horrible deeds.

Did you know I made your name from mine and your father's, Vance and Rosalie. A pretty romantic idea, isn't it? Well, your father has always been a romantic.

When I held you, I felt truly complete, like nothing could ever top that sensation. Even though you were a baby, I could see you had your father's long nose and his full lips and my previously brown eyes with pitch-black hair. At that moment, I wished I was still alive (as a human), so I could stay with you.

I regret all the enemies I made because I know they'll come after you for revenge. I'm sorry for setting you up for a life of constantly looking behind your shoulder, however, my subjects are loyal and will look after you as their future ruler, they are good people (At least they will be to you). They need someone to guide them and as cruel as I was, I love (most of) them. I'd be grateful if you would take care of them.

I am not innocent, I am a monster who tore apart families to suit my own desires and all races hate me for it, but it's inevitable when you lose your humanity for so long, they hate all vampires and when we die we get no salvation for our crimes, no heaven nor hell so if you do become their queen and take on our enemies I can only hope you are prepared for what's to come.

Now, I don't have long left but never forget I have not once regretted the choice to have you, your imperfect mother loves you.

With love,

Your mother

How am I supposed to stay angry at you if you act like this? I held the letter to my chest.

Next inspected the ring, the band was black with swirling lines of ebony-coloured metal trailing up the sides and a square, red gemstone in the centre. It appeared to be very expensive. I looked at the inside of the band and saw my mother and father's name engraved on it. My mother must've loved that ring, so I will take care of it with my life. I slipped it on my right index finger, and it began to burn me, leaving a circular red burn mark in its wake.

"Ow, what's wrong with this thing?!" I yelled, I pulled it off and decided to just ask father about it later.

I finally know the truth about my mother. She didn't abandon me because she didn't love me, but she had no choice. She is the reason I am here, so the least I can do is keep the people she loved safe.

I was about to open the door to talk to my father when I heard the front door slam open, I ran down the stairs and saw my father being strangled by a man and two other people roaming downstairs. I felt sick.

I snuck back to my room and pulled out the knife that I assume my father left to put in the nightstand drawer, knowing the current situation was a possibility. Trying not arouse as little suspicion as possible, I went back downstairs, but they saw me.

"Let him go!" I screamed at them.

"Well, well, Rosalie finally shows herself. I hope you didn't think you could hide from us, not that it matters anymore, you will be answering for your crimes, now."

My father rasped out a 'run'. I wanted to stay, but I knew that the best thing I could do for him was to listen and find a police station. So, I ran upstairs and grabbed the tin with the envelope, ring, and photo. I dialed 911, but the line wouldn't go through, it would be just my luck if they broke the power lines. Giving up on contacting authorities, I pulled the window open and saw more werewolves waiting down below. The sound of heavy footsteps was coming closer and it mixed with the sound of my rapidly beating heart. I'm in deep now! It's either die by that werewolf's hand or jump and probably die. Take your pick.

The door handle squeaked as it was being turned and the tall man emerged. I tried to get away but he rammed his knee into my stomach and I choked up blood, then he grabbed my hair and slammed my face into the wall. I fell to the ground and he ground his foot into my stomach. The tin fell, popping open and releasing the contents.

"We're you trying to hide this, Rosalie?" He said, mocking me. The werewolf picked up the ring and suddenly, the man was lit on fire. He dropped the ring and started screaming and I heard the others coming up to check. I packed the tin as quickly as I could and crawled into the bathroom cabinet to hide.

"What did that monster do to you, Kevin? I swear, I'll find her and get revenge."

Despite how high I was on adrenaline, I drifted off to sleep and when I woke up I was on my bedroom floor, my head and forehead sticky with blood. Wait, I'm not dead? I could stand, albeit with some difficulty, so I treated my wounds and then checked out the state of the house. Nobody was around anymore, inside and out. I took a quick shower and went to see Amanda.

___________________________

Hello guys.  What did you think of this chapter?  Do you like Rosalie?  Which parent do you think was better?  Please vote and comment on any of your thoughts or critiques.  

Thank you,

Kaylee :)