Chapter 24

The drive was a rough 4 hours. Apparently werewolves didn't take too kindly to cars as I was now rubbing Alexios' back as he puked his guts out. "It's okay, there's only 20 minutes left." I was worried being so close to the fight with Xios indisposed. If one of them stumble upon us now, I won't be able to stop them.

"I'll be fine, let's just go so this pain can be over."

"Actually, it's probably best if we walk. If we drive straight into battle, it would be like a spotlight is on us but with us on foot we have the element of surprise on our side." he seemed to think about it for a second before nodding.

"Yea, you're right. Let's walk." He also seemed very, very happy about the not driving part. So we kpulled our packs out of the truck and started walking into the forest beside the isolated road. Alexios hopped the fence but it was too tall for me. He chuckled slightly which made my face twist into a irritated expression. He halted his laughing to help pull me over and our long trek commenced.

"How do you even know where it is?" It was my way of making small talk because if it was a 20 minute drive then it must be an even longer walk.

"Mag, the vampire coven witch implanted it in my mind since I was staying back." Oh, yeah, I never said thanks.

"Thanks for that by the way, it would have sucked to find that out without someone there."

"Well, someone would have had to stay behind but the only ones who volunteered were Kane, Anastasia and some other guy." I grimaced at the idea of having to spend over 4 hours with Kane or Anastasia, speaking of which, why would Anastasia want to stay with me?

"Did Anastasia say why?"

"I suspect it's because they wanted to get rid of their competition."

"Well, extra thanks then."

"No problem."

We were deep into the forest by this point when I heard the snap of branches behind me. My body whipped back, eyes frantically searching for the offender. "Let's go." I grabbed Alexios' arm trying to run but he wouldn't move. "Move, please, I don't feel like dying today."

"It's more trouble to have him tell this captain that there are reinforcements." It was a solid argument, I didn't like it but I saw that it was necessary so we got to work. Alexios' using his super smell and my superhearing. He definitely didn't leave the area, I could hear his breathing, out of tune with mine and Alexios', Suddenly, there was the click of a gun, our eyes shot up to see shining green ones in the trees.

Alexios and I had jumped away just in time for the bullet to embed itself into the foliage rather than out throats. Alexios was faster than me and got to the tree, climbing up. I joined him, I was never a great climber but to be fair, I wasn't that great at a lot of the things that I've done since being thrown into this life.

The stranger couldn't shoot us like this. He shot one and would never get to shot another 'monster' again. Alexios was just about to reach him before the stranger jumped down from the tree. He was in the open and running away. Me and Alexios shared the look, if he got away, everyone dies. We jumped down from the tree and sprinted after him.

Track really was worth it, I thought as I was on the soldier's tail now, I jumped and knocked him to the ground. I rolled him over and–bad idea–because the soldier put his gun to my temple, poised to shoot my brains out if I dared.

I'm not usually one for crude language, but shit. A bead of sweat rolled down my forehead as the possibility of my impending caressed my thoughts. His finger was about to push down on the trigger before his head started bleeding out heavily and recognition faded from his eyes, gun loosening from his hands.