Chapter 7: Competition

After getting the okay from the Elders that I could stay, we went to the lunchroom. It was like something out of Harry Potter. Long tables made of dark wood, extravagant chandeliers at every table, and the smell of the food had my mouth watering—especially after eating at Aunt Lilliana's because, while I appreciate that she cooked for me, she is not very skilled.

"I thought vampires only drink blood and don't eat.  At least, nothing other than water."

"Oh, this glutton is the exact opposite of that stereotype." The red-head joked, pointing at Blake.

"That's because adult bodies, need lots of fuel, Amara. Maybe if you were one you would understand." He mocked in a babying voice, clearly mocking her short height.  She was really short, though, she looked like she barely broke 5'2.  The two began arguing and throuwing curses at each other.

"Sorry, about them. " The other guy laughed, embarrased. 

"It's okay, it's kinda entertaining." I smile.

He continued, "Vampires actually only need to drink about half a liter of blood once a month to survive, but other than that we eat human food.  Its only for taste, thought, there's no nutritional value."

"By the way, I didn't get your name." 

"It's Ishan, I originally came from the coven in India."

"Oh, can I ask why you left?" I ask.

"Well, my parents we framed for treason and they were going to execute our entire family. They were able to get me out but they ended up dying."

Way to be insensitive, Val. "I'm sorry, I shouldn't have asked."

"No, it's nice to speak about it sometime, helps me remember them, since I was only a 4 year old human at the time. Humans forget so easily." He smiled slightly sadly.

I didn't really know what to say to that, but luckily, Blake and the redheaded girl that I now know as Amara are done fighting.

We got some food and went to sit down. "Do you guys know who will be competing?" I asked.

"Yep, there are 20 competitors, but only there are only 5 who you'll really need to care about." Amara explained.

"Look over there," she pointed to a group of vampires, "Blondie over there is Anastasia, one of the five I mentioned. Stay away from her and her lackeys."

She was beautiful, her blond hair in a half-up-half-down style with the signature red eyes but they looked almost pink. Anastasia was laughing with a group of vampires before her eyes turned to mine, I looked away quickly.

Before I was able to speak to Amara again, Anastasia showed up.

"Who's the human, Amara? 'You willing to share?" She provoked.

I can hear you, you know. And the human is Valarie, your opponent. Was what I would have said if I had the guts. "I'm Valerie and it's nice to meet my first opponent for the Ruler competition." I smiled, holding my hand out to her.

"Really, a human? Who authorized to this nonsense?"

"The Elders did, you wouldn't disrespect their decision, would you?" It seemed like Anastasia knew the consequences of falling into Amara's trap.

"Of course not.  I suppose she will make a nice snack for her first opponent." She said before disappearing in a puff of smoke.

"Is there some kind of history there?" I asked.