Chapter 22

As predicted, Kane went around spreading the news, the whispers that followed me all day as my evidence.

"Val!" A voice yelled right in my ear before wrapping their arms around my neck. I clawed at the brown arms.

"Liv, stop, you're choking me."

Instantly, she released my neck. "Oops, sorry."

I rubbed my neck, "You needed me?"

"I heard your finally dating Alexios. I always knew you had a crush on each other." She sang with hearts in her eyes. Liv was the type that loved love so I wasn't surprised at the enjoyment she got out of this.

I decided that Liv would be safe to tell the truth to, I looked around the hallway and saw that it was relatively empty—safe for a few people. "Actually," I whispered, "Me and Alexios aren't dating."

I went on to explain everything. My meeting with Kane, his gross comments and how I discouraged his interest. "What a disgusting person. I knew that he was depraved but not to this extent."

"Yea, but to be fair, all vampires are a little depraved."

"I'm mildly offended but it's too true to deny." We laughed.

"But what's your solution? You and Alexios can't just ignore each other for the rest of eternity."

"The plan is to wait it out until suspicion wanes or the war comes—then my work will speak for itself."

I flopped down in my bed and rolled over, groaning in pain yet relief as the softness eased the aches in my back.

Not a second later, the phone started vibrating, indicated someone was calling. I wish I could just ignore it, I contemplated the idea of doing just that before remembering that I don't have that luxury.

I reached for the phone to see it was Lilliana and immediately swiped the answer button. "Hey, auntie. How have you been?"

"Worried sick, you could have at least answered my calls." She scolds.

"Sorry, honestly, I've been really preoccupied with not dying."

"I get it, have you been keeping up with magic practice?"

I wince and began chewing my lip, silently knowing that I've been kind of neglecting it. "Not as much as I had hoped for but I've definitely improved."

"Well I called because it's been around 2 months since I last saw you and I want to make sure the balance is okay."

My brows knitted in confusion, "The balance?"

"I want to make sure that no side of you, human, witch or vampire—is eating up any of the other sides strength reserves."

That makes sense but, "why would that be so bad?"

"Because if one side's strength is gone, it can disappear and thus change the person you are."

"So of my vampire side wins out, I'll become cruel and merciless?" I heard a hum of agreement from Lilliana.

"Anyway, come to Greyward motel tonight at 8:00."

"Okay, see you then." Lilliana hummed before hanging up.

_______

Comment your thoughts and if you liked it, vote! :)