Chapter 12: Remorse

The incessant knocking that I was trying to ignore would not stop. I lifted my face from the tear-soaked pillow. Looking at it made me think of who caused these tears, Alexios, which, in turn, made me angry. I punched the pillow. Tomorrow, I can be my kind and good self again.

Someone knocked on the door.  "Coming!" I yelled, trudging to the door. I pulled it open to be greeted by a face only slightly better than the devil.

"Alexios," I greeted, trying to wipe the tears that had dried on my face in the most discreet way possible for having him right in front of me.

His stone-cold expression cracked to reveal a tinge of remorse at the half-dried tear tracks that decorated my cheeks. He seemed remorseful if that's even possible for someone like him; I thought.

"I'm here to apologize. I realized what a bastard I was being after seeing you cry and hearing everything."

"Apology heard."

"You mean accepted?"

"No," I shook my head,"heard."

"Anyway, I didn't come here to feel better about myself. I came to explain myself in case it might make you feel better" Then he quickly added, "—but I can leave if it's more helpful."

I stayed silent before accepting, "Come in."

He passed me while I held the door open for him to pass. I took a seat on the bed and waited for him to sit but he just stood like an idiot. "Are you going to sit or...?" I drawed out.

"Yeah," He sat before beginning. "I've never felt what it was like to have a family but I think that if I had one, I would die for them, do whatever it takes to save them."

"I was doing the same, I—" I was interrupted by Alexios,

"Valerie, just—let me finish, okay?" I nodded.

"I wasn't sure my family would want me but you have someone—your dad—that you would do anything for.  I was jealous of that. My mind wanted someone to blame and let out my frustrations on them. I couldn't do that with Finley, or Rosalie, or the other vampires—it'd just get me killed.  There was only you left, but you were the only one that treated me like I was a person and I ruined that so I'm sorry to repay your kindness like that."

I was about to say it was okay but It wasn't, "Thank you for the apology, I forgive you but I need you to prove that you've changed."

"I will, thanks for a second chance."

"Everyone deserves a second chance. No one's perfect." 

________________________________________________________

Hey,  how is everyone liking the KOTD so far?  Sorry about the messy upload schedule too, it's hard to get time to post.  Comment if you think everyone deserves a second chance or not.  Also, please vote and add this story to your lists if you enjoyed it.

Thanks for reading,

Kaylee :)