Chapter 4: On The Road

I arrived at Amanda's house and banged on the door. "Amanda! Please, come out!" The door opened. Even through the tears, I could make out the blurry image of her mother.

"Come in, sweetie," she gently smiled, and I broke down. I sat on the couch as she patted my back and handed me a cup of hot chocolate. The door slammed open.  Amanda was finally back. Once she saw me, it was like she instantly knew what happened and gave me a big hug.

"I'm sorry," After my crying session, Amanda's mother and father came to listen as I explained what happened.

"I can't stay. They'll kill me."  They'll kill my father.  The thought brought a fresh set of tears to my eyes and I wrapped my arms around myself.

"Why not contact the Vampire Kingdom? They should take you in." Amanda asked.

"My mother," The word felt weird on my tongue, "Said needed to be the one to protect them, not the other way around and that's the only way they'll help me, but the way I am now, I'll be dead before I have the chance.  I need to get stronger first."

Amanda's mom sighed, "I know a witch who owes me.  I can see if they can reconnect you with any living relatives."

"That's too much to ask you guys to do."

"Take the offer, it's the least we can do for you.  And one day, when you become queen, you can repay us."

I smiled, "Of course."

I spent the night at Amanda's and now I'm going to meet the witch. When we arrived, I was greeted by a short woman. She had strawberry blond hair and green eyes.  Amanda's mother introduced me, "This is Valerie, she's looking for any of her living relatives."

"You're lucky I owe you because I don't help the spawn of Rosalie." The woman glared.

"I understand that, Carla."

I whispered, "Thank you." Amanda's mother just smiled at me.

"Put your blood in the middle of the map," She pointed to the crease in the middle of the map while handing me a knife. I made a shallow cut diagonally on my palm and squeezed it onto the map. The woman started chanting, and the blood separated into two lines, one going into a pack land and the other was a human town. Specifically Hawkensville, a town with a population of less than 6,000.

"Well, you've got your answer." She handed me the map, "good luck."

"Thank you,"

I spent one last night at Amanda's before taking off to find my family, "Call if you need help, okay? Don't be a stranger." Amanda embraced me. I am so lucky to have her, she's an amazing friend.

"Don't worry, I'll be back to imposing soon enough."

"Stay safe," Her father said.

"We'll be here."

"Okay, bye!" I said.

I got in the car and drove to Hawkensville. Two hours later, I was in the rainy town of Hawkensville, now to find the house. After a few misses, I found what seemed like the one I was looking for. Knock. Knock. Knock. A middle-aged woman opened the door, she had Brown hair and brown eyes, and she looked exactly like my father.

"You know Vance Williams, right?" I asked and she was instantly suspicious.

"Who's asking?"

"His daughter," I pulled out a picture of us together. She didn't look totally convinced, but she let me in.

"I was the strongest witch in our coven, second only to my brother so don't bother trying to attack me." She warned.

"Okay, auntie." I smiled.