ACT FOUR SCENE EIGHT

[Johnson returned home and could not find Osose as arranged but found his fiancée seated in the sitting room. He was astonished and asked why she didn’t leave the house that day.]

JOHNSON: Babe! Wow! You’re home early or you didn’t go out?

EBANEHITA:  [her countenance became remorseful and sad at the same time] I didn’t go anywhere today.

JOHNSON: Did my bestie come over?

EBANEHITA:  Yeah she did.

JOHNSON: And?

EBANEHITA:  I’m so sorry, I got emotional and pushed her out of the house.

JOHNSON: You did what? Why? What came over you?

EBANEHITA:  I don’t know what came over me. I heard window gossips about her always paying suspicious visits to you when I step out and then she leaves before I come back.

JOHNSON: [Trying to be reasonable] Babe naw! It’s not the way you imagine it. You know the nature of job she does and it requires her to work on evening shifts. You also know how close she is to me since we were kids. She has been my friend and best friend.

EBANEHITA:  It’s not as if I don’t know this. I seriously don’t know what came over me.

JOHNSON: Perhaps due to the tensions here and there, you just used her to calm down. At least you apologized and you know.

EBANEHITA:  I didn’t apologise to her though, but would love to when I get the chance.

JOHNSON: You’re a darling. That’s why I love you. I will call her back and we will sort it out.

EBANEHITA:  Thanks. I am sorry too.

JOHNSON: Noted. [He moved closer to her and gave her a warm hug]. Something has been bothering me lately.

EBANEHITA:  What is it?

JOHNSON: We placed the exhibits where they could easily be found but till now, no one has found it. I even went to check a week after dropping the exhibit and it had disappeared. I thought the police might have found it and taken it into their custody. But there is a press release advertising a 20minllion naira reward on legit information regarding the whereabouts of the exhibit.

[He was trying to be discrete before listening ears and gossiping mouths would divulge them to unsuspecting ears.]

EBANEHITA:  True. But what about the trackers you talked about?

JOHNSON: They are working on locating this Lala character, before he finds out about the press release and send out the video to claim the reward.

EBANEHITA:  My wonder is how he got such detailed and well angled video.

JOHNSON: We will find out soon enough before the temptation to release that video becomes unbearable.

[He left a peck on her forehead and walked away and into the room.]