Part 1 - Gunfire

Amy walked into the kitchen, pulling out a mug and pouring herself some coffee. It was hot as she sipped it. It was early, before anyone was awake. She checked her phone had power and put it in her jacket pocket and slipped her boots on. She wrote a quick note and left it on the fridge. Ty, I'll be back in a while. Can you watch Lyndy for me? Call me if you can't, love you. Amy opened the door quietly, making as little noise as possible. She went to the barn to tack up Spartan. "Hey boy, easy. Are we gonna go for a ride?" Amy said as she walked Spartan out of the barn. She mounted him and rode up to the land Jack had given her. It was chilly out, but refreshing. She took it easy with Spartan, not wanting to hurt him. She slowed to a walk when she reached the field, the wild horses running around. She dismounted Spartan and tied him to the fence she had Ty put there. She sat on the grass, facing the wild horses. It was getting warmer, the sun more intense than when she had left. Amy took a deep breath and smiled. This was where she was going to live once her house was finished. It would be amazing.

Ty woke up to Lyndy shifting in the bed. When had she come in? "Hey Lyndy." Ty whispered. Lyndy's eyes opened and she smiled. "Hi Daddy." She said, sitting up. Ty smiled and sat up too. "Where's Mommy?" He asked her. She shrugged. "She was gone when I woke up, so I came in here." Lyndy said, wiggling out of there bed. Ty stretched and nodded. "She might be gone on a ride. Let's go get some breakfast, yeah?" He asked as he got out of the bed. "Yay!" Lyndy said in an singsong voice. Ty laughed and heading into the kitchen. Jack was standing at the sink pouring himself a cup of coffee. "Note on the fridge for you." He said as Ty sat down. "Probably from Amy, she was gone when I woke up." Ty said grabbing the note. He scanned the note and nodded. "Yeah, from Amy. She said she'll be back in a while. Any idea what time she left at?" Ty asked. Jack shook his head. "No, never heard her this morning." Jack said as he left to get to work. Katie came skipping in. "Where's breakfast?" She asked. Ty grinned. "You wanna know what Jack said to me when I asked that question when I first got here?" Ty asked her. She nodded. "What did GG say?" She asked. Ty smiled as he recalled the conversation. "Well, I came in after sleeping in the loft and asked where breakfast was and he said, 'You want breakfast in bed, sleep in the kitchen.' And then he left to go and start working." Ty laughed. Katie burst out laughing. "Really?" She asked. Ty nodded. "Yeah, even ask Jack." Katie smiled and grabbed a slice of toast and disappeared into the house.

Amy had been out for almost two hours now, just watching the wild herd as they ran through the fields. Luke had left yesterday and she was taking it kind of hard. She took a deep breath and lay back on the grass. She had always imagined the room across from Lyndy's to be Luke's. Andrea had always planned on taking Luck back, he was never going to stay with them for long. Amy sigh and got up, pulling her phone out of her pocket. No new messages. Ty mustn't need her back quickly then. She smiled and sat up. She could hear howling behind her. She turned to see a wolf, running straight for her. Then she heard it. A gunshot. She stood up to run for cover as she heard more gunfire. Then she felt it. Then she fell, hand flying to her stomach. She curled up as more shots fired and suddenly stopped. She uncurled slowly, pain shooting through her stomach. "Oh God." She moan as she removed her hand from her stomach. Red. Blood. She was shot. She couldn't move, her stomach pulsing with pain. She pressed her hand against her stomach and reached around for her phone. She has to call Ty. She couldn't feel it. "Damn it." She hissed. Hot tears began to fall down her cheeks as she felt her pockets and the ground around her one more time. Nothing. She had to get help. She could see Spartan pulling against the post. With every ounce of strength she had left, she pulled herself towards him, untying him. "Go, Spartan, go get someone. Go get Ty." She said as she collapsed to the ground, no longer able to stand. She pulled herself over the the house, or the start of the house, and slumped against the side of it. "Please get help." She whispered so quietly she could barely hear it.