Part 30 - Wilson

Wilson's POV:

I hadn't seen Lyndy work with horses before, I didn't even know she did work with them. I knew that her mother was Amy Fleming, that was no secret in school, and I knew that Amy was really good with horses. As I followed Lyndy towards her house, I began to get nervous. I liked Lyndy, she was kind and nice and smart, but I didn't know her that well. "When did you get Ash?" She asked me, pulling me from my thoughts. I shrugged. "A few weeks ago. He was perfect when we bought him, not charging or anything. Then when I went to feed him, he bit me. Then it just got worse and worse." I said as we came closer to the house. Lyndy nodded. "It can be caused my a multitude of things, you know. It wasn't anything you did, from the sounds of it." She said with a soft smile. When we got into the house, I saw Dad sitting with Mr Bartlett. "Are you two gonna hang out for a bit? I'm just talking with Jack so you both have a while." He said, smiling at me. I nodded, following Lyndy up a set of stairs. She pushed open a door, which lead into her bedroom. I walked in behind her. I went over to her desk, looking at the picture's on her corkboard. "Is that you?" I asked, pointing to a picture of a young girl with curly, blonde hair. She nodded. "Yep, I was about three in that picture. My mom died not too long after that I think." She said, sitting on her bed. I nodded, sitting on the desk chair. "Do you miss her?" I asked, spinning on the chair. She shrugged. "I guess? I don't really remember her to be honest." She admitted. I nodded. She shivered slightly as she pulled a hoodie that was discarded on her bed over her exposed arms. "Do you think you can fix Ash?" I asked, changing the subject. She nodded. "I'd say so. All I have to do is basically retrain him. I'll start tomorrow with join up again and see how that goes." She said, pulling out her phone. "You can come and watch if you like." She added, pocketing her phone. I nodded. It was fascinating to watch her work with horses. "What happens if join up works tomorrow?" I ask, still spinning on the chair. She thinks for a minute. "Well, he's a keen jumper, definitely wants to jump. I might start trying him with a saddle, see how he takes the that. If that goes well, and I think he's ready to jump, we'll start with small jumps. Then, once he's ready, we'll move the jumps up. Then that will keep going until he's at the level he was at before." She explained. I nodded. "And that's it? Just retrain him?" I ask. It sounds easy, but I know well it's not. She laughs, shaking her head. "No, that's not the end. Then, once he's 100% comfortable with me, we have to get him comfortable with you. I'll show you what to do, don't worry. You can practise with Cappuccino if you want, too." She said, smiling at me. I nodded. "Cappuccino?" I asked. She pointed to a picture of a palomino on her corkboard. "That's Capp. He's a jumper too. He's friendly, likes everyone." She said with a smile, clearly fond of the horse. "Where'd you get him?" I asked. Her smile dimmed a bit, and I had a feeling I hit a nerve. "He was on a meat truck. It came by a while back, Capp was on it. We rehomed all the horses, none went to the slaughter house." She said. She had really grown up around horses, that's for sure. "Why don't we try Ash with a saddle today? Or go for a ride with Cappuccino?" I asked, wanting to spend more time with her. She shrugged. "It might be too much too soon." I smiled. "Or it might not be." She grinned at me, getting off the bed. "Come on then." She smiled. We went downstairs, running out to the barn. Lyndy stopped at the door, shaking her head. "We'll go for a ride, but not with Ash." She said, not looking at me. "Okay, do you have a horse I can ride?" I asked. She nodded, walking into the barn. I followed, keeping back from Ash's stall. She lead Cappuccino in from the field and another horse out from the stall. "You tack up Capp. He'll let you ride him. Star, however, is picky and spooky. She's coming on well though, and I have to ride her out anyway." She said, pulling a western saddle out from the tack room, giving it to me. While I tacked up Cappuccino, she tacked up Star. After a few minutes, we lead the horses out of the barn, mounting them. Lyndy forced me to wear her helmet, which fit surprisingly well. "What about you?" I asked once mounted. She left Star's side, jogging into the barn. When she returned, she had a black cowboy hat on. She mounted quickly, smiling at me. "Come on." She said. "Where do you want to go?"

Author's Note:

What does everyone think of Wilson? He'll definitely be a big character from here on so