Part 14 - Explanation

Lyndy's POV:
I ran into my room, slamming the door shut. I don't know what to think, what to say. My family deliberately chose to cut Ty out of my life, cut him off from me. I sat on my bed, unshed tears in my eyes. A knock came for the door and I saw GG's head poke around the door. "Lyndy, let me explain properly what happened. What Tim said wasn't entirely accurate." He said softly, and I felt bad holding a grudge against him. I nodded and he came in, staggering slightly. He always staggered around now. He sat on my bed and sigh. "Ty was the one who found Amy, up by the house. She was in... real bad shape when he got up there. The paramedics got her stable enough to get to the hospital, but she had lost a lot of blood. She was in a critical condition for over a week and we were a few days off unplugging her life support. Then she woke up, all her motor skills were there, her vision, her hearing, it's all there. We all thought she was going to be fine. The only thing that was different was her memory. She had no memory of anything. Ty sat with her for hours, telling her about Heartland, Spartan, us, you. About everything. Then he came home and told all of us the news. The next day, you and Ty went back to the hospital to see her. Then, she had a heart attack and flatlined. They tried everything they could to save her but they couldn't. We all planned the funeral, but after a few days, Ty had started drinking more and more. He was getting worse and became more bitter and we were all afraid he would turn violent. Tim and I, we tried talking some sense into him but he didn't listen. He took off, willingly leaving. After a few months, we got a letter from him, basically saying he was trying to get better but that he needed us to mind you. Then, every year, on his wedding anniversary and your birthday, we get a letter from him. I have a shoebox full of them. He would have sent us a text or email, or even called, but we had blocked him on everything. I wanted to tell you, Lyndy, I really did, but I know how much having a alcoholic as a parent can impact you. It wasn't just my decision, Tim had a say too. We just... we wanted what was best for you." He explained it all. The last eleven years... completely explained. I nodded. "Why'd you do it, GG? Why did you keep him away when he wanted to come back?" I asked. GG shook his head. "We never actually knew if he wanted to come back, all the letters were addressed to you. We never opened any of them, we said we'd wait until we told you about them." He says softly. I nod. "Could I... could I see them?" I asked, nervously. GG smiled and nodded. "You know, you'll have to eat dinner and then do the night checks first. Tim will have a go at you if you don't." He jokes. I giggle and smile. "Let's go eat dinner then."

Tim's POV:
Lyndy and Jack walked out of the room together, so I can only assume that he told her. "You told her?" I ask. He nods. "I had the right to know." Lyndy says as she puts two scoops of mashed potatoes onto her plate and one piece of roasted chicken. I nod. "Yeah, I know you do." I say shortly, not wanting to fight with her. "Did you ever plan on telling me?" Lyndy asked, not in a bitchy way, but a genuine way. "We wanted to wait until we... until you were old enough." I say, glancing at Jack. He nods. We start to eat the dinner in silence.

Lyndy's POV:
Dinner was finished and now I was waiting for GG to get the boxes of letters out of his room. "Now, Lyndy, whatever is in these letters is for you, but if any of them are threatening then you have to swear to me that you'll tell someone." He says. I nod. "I will GG, I promise." I highly doubt that Ty would send threats, especially if he thought Grandpa or GG would see them, but I have to agree in order to be allowed read them. GG sighed before getting up and going to his room. There was shuffling around for a few minutes but then he reemerged from the room with a shoebox in his hands. I took a deep breath before holding my hands out for the box. GG sighed again and gave it to me. "No matter what's in those letters, we will still be here for you." He said and kissed my forehead before I walked into my bedroom. I sat on my bed and opened the shoebox. Carefully, I lifted out the bottom letter, the first one he had sent. Taking a deep breath, I opened the first envelope. This was the moment of truth.