Part 27 - Are You Sure?

Lyndy's POV:
"It happened again." I whispered into the phone, tears welling. Natara sighed on the other end of the phone. "Lyndy, you have to tell someone! Like, I love you, but cop on!" She said, and I could hear the fear in her voice. I gulped down a sob, trying to be quiet. "What if I do have it..?" I whimpered into the phone. "List the symptoms." Nat ordered. "Excuse me?" I asked, surprised. "List the symptoms. And everything else you know about ALL." She said. I took a breath. "Acute Lymphoblastic Leukaemia. Chills, weakness, fever, infections, nosebleeds, easy bruising, joint pain. There's a five year survival rate of 90% for children 0 - 14 and a 77% rate for 15 - 19." I said. Nat stayed silent, then decided to speak. "Lynx, I don't know what to do. You have to tell someone, anyone! Heck, tell Quinn, Ty, Maeve even! Tell someone!" She pleaded. "And tell them what! Hey, I think I have cancer!?" I exclaimed, louder then before. Then I heard it, the slow creaking of my door. I turn around, eyes wide, as Georgie stood in the doorway. "How much did you hear?" I whispered. "Lynx? Lyndy, what's going on?" Nat asked frantically on the phone. I ended the call, setting the phone down. "I heard enough. Why didn't you tell anyone?" She asked, sitting beside me. "People die from it. I don't want it. I don't want to die. I don't want to be sick." I said, silent tears falling. Georgie nodded. "You know everything about it, ALL. You could have told me." She said calmly. I nodded, wiping my eyes. "I just don't want to be that girl. The girl that can't do anything." I whispered. Georgie nodded, wrapping her arms around me. "How about this? We go to Dr Conners about it, you get all the testing done, and we wait for the results. If you do have cancer, we tell the family. If not, we don't say anything. I hate this agreement, for the record, but I know you won't want to tell everyone and for it be nothing." She said, giving me a small hug. I nodded, but didn't say anything. "I'll make the appointment." She said, standing up and walking out of my room. I wiped my eyes and changed into my pyjamas, burring my face into the pillow.

Georgie's POV:
I called Dr Conners as soon as I was back in the loft. Quinn was still asleep, snoring on the bed. "Hello, Dr Conners's office, Áine speaking, how may I help you?" A woman, with a thick Irish accent asked. "Hi, I'd like to make an appointment. For Lyndy Borden." I said, speaking poshly. "Okay, and are you a legal guardian or parent of Lyndy?" She asked. I froze for a minute before proceeding. "No, but I'm a cousin of Lyndy. See, her mom, Amy Fleming, passed away a few years back and her dad, Ty Borden, left. Lou Fleming is her legal guardian, she's my mom. She asked me to take her since she's away out of town on business." I said, coming up with it in the spot. Áine clicked on her laptop and then stopped clicking. "Okay, are you free tomorrow at twelve?" She asked. I nodded, then spoke. "Yes, I'm free. We'll be there tomorrow, thank you." I said. Áine and I exchanged quick pleasantries before ending the call. I let out a sigh. "What was that about?" Quinn said behind me, making me jump. "God Quinn!" I hissed. He looked stern, and questioning. "What was that about?" He repeated. I shrugged. "Lyndy wasn't feeling well so I offered to take her." I lied. I knew he wouldn't get why I couldn't tell everyone why we were going. Quinn looked unconvinced. I headed towards the bed, pulling my clothes off and getting into pyjamas. "Why'd you lie then?" He asked, sitting next to me on the bed. I stared at him. Was he awake the whole time? "What do you mean?" I asked carefully. Quinn rolled his eyes. "My mom is out of town? On business? We both know that's a load of bull. Lou wasn't planning on leaving anytime soon." He said, standing up. I shrugged. "She needed me to be a legal guardian, Lou doesn't need to worry about it." I explained, tying my hair into a messy bun. Quinn stayed quite. Finally, I thought to myself. "You're lying." He said, not angrily, but curiously. I sighed, lying down in the bed. Quinn wouldn't say anything, would he? I hesitated. "Lyndy said she's been having... symptoms. Chills, nosebleeds, bruising, joint pain -" I was cut short by Quinn starting to talk. "Leukaemia." I nodded, holding back the tears. Having Quinn say it, having someone outside that room say it, made it real. He dropped onto the bed weakly. "Jesus..." He muttered, running a hand through his hair. I nodded, lacing my fingers through his. "She'll be ok, right?" I asked, silently pleading for reassurance. He looked at me with determination. "Lyndy is the strongest girl I know, she will be ok."

Author's Note:

Hey Everyone! I don't know if I like this chapter, I think it might be cruel to make Lyndy sick on top of all the stuff she's been through but I like the idea of the family rallying to help her. What do you all think? I think I might keep this chapter, but I might change the test result... Or maybe I'll leave it? I don't know. Comment to tell me your thoughts! Thanks for reading!