Chapter 26

Evening came.

As the east wind blew in the moonless night, lightning crackled, and sprinkles of rain started to fall from the sky. Underneath the bad weather, Vrylle was standing precariously, staring at another horde of monsters whose eyes were glowing ominously at her.

The battle felt like it would never end.

Monsters kept coming when Vrylle thought it was the last. While fighting off the monsters and also running so she wouldn't be cornered, Vrylle unavoidably encountered her fellow humans, enemies.

That made her situation even more brutal.

As the battle progressed, the corpses of her enemies increased, along with the injuries she could not completely avoid. Stained with the blood of both monsters and humans she had killed, Vrylle's own blood was, of course, among those stains.

In the few hours that passed, a lot of things happened. Vrylle engaged in a battle where she could barely take a breather. In those fierce bouts, in which it was inevitable to be injured, Vrylle had to use potions to support and prolong herself. As few of the potions already were, soon not even a single bottle was spared.

Although Vrylle carefully conserved each potion for them to last until she completed the mission, the reality of the situation did not allow her to.

As a result, with another horde of monsters she still had to face, Vrylle's only option now was to double her precautions and deal with her enemies in the most efficient yet effective ways.

Breathing heavily, Vrylle felt her eyes heat up, then raised the bloodstained daggers, and the horde of monsters suddenly looked hesitant, trembling, while countering her gaze.

"...Come."

As Vrylle announced, the air fell silent, albeit briefly. It was evident in her voice what she was feeling at the moment. However, it wasn't long before the monsters charged toward her, clenching their teeth as if fighting off their fear.

Fear which Vrylle had no idea where it was coming from.

[Skill "Sprint" (A) is activated.]

Using Sprint, Vrylle dashed forward, taking advantage of the monsters' unstable mood. She utilized every move with no strength wasted, pushed through her exhausted body, and swung her daggers through their necks and various parts of their bodies.

Half an hour later, Vrylle successfully dealt with the horde of monsters, albeit sustaining some light injuries herself. She decapitated some of them, while others had their arms or legs amputated and their throats slit.

The scene looked gruesome, with blood pooling everywhere and rain helping to scatter it on the ground, creating small puddles.

"...Lame."

Vrylle breathed heavily as she lifted her little face up with closed eyes, letting the rain wash her pale face clean. Standing unfazed by the cold wind, the putrid smell of blood, and the increasingly heavy raindrops, Vrylle laughed.

The laughter was full of frustration she had tried hard to hold in while clutching her chest.

Biting her lower lip, Vrylle's emotional fluctuation was rather brief as she turned her head when she heard the approaching sound of an object cutting through the air and rain.

When the said object became visible, an arrow flying toward her, Vrylle gritted her teeth and used the dagger to deflect the arrow.

Soon after that moment, another arrow zoomed toward her again, which she dodged as well, lodging itself in a tree trunk. When she looked toward where the arrows came from, Vrylle saw figures in the distance, but not monsters. Instead, they were humans. Her fellow humans again.