Chapter 09

The night was silent. The wind was cold. And the sky was full of stars just like any other night before. Inside a room, where only the moon's light shone within, a little girl whose eyes were much darker than the night was laying on her bed gazing outside, still patiently waiting for something.

The sun completely set on the horizon made the moon to be the only source of light that shone down the whole country, yet the so-called Energy the voice mentioned was still nowhere for the little girl to feel.

As minutes passed by, she cannot help but feel uneasy with her temples started to swell, aching her head.

It was almost nine in the evening. Since when she had to wait?

The little girl, whose none other than Vrylle, closed her eyes then threw a pillow over her face, forcefully organizing her thoughts. 

Earlier today, she thought everything was proceeding as she pleased. Her classes which was pushed were easily rescheduled. The letter she got from Rosalie was handled easily too after she wrote one herself, then got a quick replay from the kid to moved their visit to the Imperial Library for another day.

Some of the classes she managed to attend were also perfectly goes well. The auction ended without a problem, and the dinner she had with the Duke and the young Paladin was merry and nice.

But now... she felt deceived. All her preparations' were useless.

Was the voice only gives her false hope?

Vrylle's stomach suddenly churned with the thought, and she bolted up, the pillow on her face fell to the floor. A chuckle later, one that mocked her own stupid confidence, she got off the bed and walked towards the drawer where the rings she purchased from the auction was stashed.

Since she got home, she did not check the rings personally and just put them away. But Vrylle had decided to bring the rings herself tomorrow to a blacksmith, for them to fix the poor items.

She bought them, so she had to use them, no?

But Vrylle cannot use them yet with their current state. She was afraid that she might really break them, which she can't afford after she spent 1 gold coin to it.

Her stingy soul ached even with just the thought of it.

Life was hard, and there this 'money' which was also hard to earn, made life thrice harder. Even she ground day and night from her part-time jobs, the money she got from it after fifteen days of working made all the money she earned last for only two days because of the bills she had to pay.

So, yes, she knew how tough to earn a living. And even though she was now a noble, she wouldn't let go of her stingy side.

Habits were not easily to get rid of, especially if one wasn't really willing to do so.

"Poor little things."

She hummed then reached out the old, tattered box upon opening the drawer. The box, though, was a little heavy and rough and a little moist against her small hands.

After feeling its texture, she opened it and the two shabby little rings glimmer against the moonshine, which was quite interesting since despite their appearance, they could still shine and wasn't dull at all.