Chapter 30

Bright dawn broke the silent darkness of the night. People on the streets started their daily routines, instantly filling the city with life and noise. As the sun rose higher every minute, the city became busier and livelier, as the number of people on the streets doubled.

Inside a particular room, however, in a building secluded in a suburb in the East, a high-end residential area, it seemed like it was still nighttime. With curtains still drawn shut, the room looked gloomy, cloaked with negative emotions.

"...Just what the hell is happening?"

Currently, Vrylle, whose cheeks were flushed and who was having a hard time breathing, lay paralyzed on the bed, with the blanket pulled up to her neck. Each breath she took was like a sharp knife stabbing directly into Ezra's heart as he sat nervously and stiffly beside his poor daughter.

If only he could transfer all his daughter's pain and suffering to himself, Ezra would do so without any second thoughts.

Sadly, that was not possible. No one, not even himself, had the ability for it to happen.

Mages, quasi-Healers, and the Healers themselves couldn't do more about his daughter's condition since they had already done what they could. They said that it might be because of exhaustion and stress brought on by the high-intensity battle she had no choice but to take part in.

It made Ezra really frustrated.

"Damn it!"

Ezra leaned forward and gently caressed his daughter's flushed cheek. The temperature that transferred to his palm was the same, meaning her condition had not improved even a bit.

It had been more or less than eight hours since Vrylle had been burning with her high fever, which hadn't died down even for a second. It made Ezra restless and tense, fearing that his daughter might convulse at any moment, which would be dangerous for her already weakened state.

"My sweet child..."

Moaning, groaning, and muttering occasionally in her sleep, Ezra held his daughter's hand and squeezed it gently, afraid and unable to bear hurting her even more. The distress him could only watch Vrylle's flushed cheeks, knitted brows, and slightly parted pale lips as she had a hard time breathing.

Looking at her expression was enough to tell Ezra how much pain his poor daughter was experiencing.

"...Father."

Everett knocked and called Ezra outside the room many times, yet no one answered. Helpless, that was when the young Paladin had no choice but to welcome himself into the room. He walked toward the two people who were the most important in his life with pained, focused eyes.

"Have they spoken?"

Even before Everett approached any closer, Ezra's inquiry came straightaway. As Knights, they regained their consciousness rather quickly compared to ordinary people who might take a day or so after those rigorous events. It only took those traitors a few hours to awaken. As such, an interrogation followed suit, which was what everyone expected.

"...Not yet, Father. Hanz, specifically, refused to speak. He acted as a mute."

What fortunate for the traitors, contrarily, unfortunately for them is, since they weren't at the Central and temporarily staying at someone else's territory, torturing them was prohibited, so as simple as interrogating would suffice at a moment's time, which also made those men grow some backbone and refuse to cooperate.

Acting as stubborn as they could.

Ezra knew that such a thing would happen. It was to be expected considering that's the rule, a part of their creed as well. If it's something else, or the cause and effect were different, Ezra could just take a deep breath and let it go for the time being. However, since it was his daughter's, the frustration he had was impossible to explain.