ten | be eazy.

Leigh

I slept like a baby last night.

After eating that fantastic meal, I had a major case of the itis. I sprawled out onto the couch and he followed suit.

I didn't mind because it was friendly. We were watching a random Netflix show and fell asleep right there.

Sadly, my alarm to return to my prison rang. I stretched out uncomfortably and slipped out of LeSane's arms and got dressed.

I called my town car and headed to the office about an hour early.

As soon as I walked into the office, I could feel his presence, Krissy was late today so I had Noa.

"Hey, Noa..can I.. hold him?"  He asked sheepishly,

"Sure, I don't know if he'll come to you but—."

Noa practically ran to him,

"He likes me.."  He laughed,

"Hey NoJo, you want to come home?" He cooed happily,

"This is the longest time you've held him. We've been here for what, two-three months. But you've been taking care of him. He just doesn't know it."

"I know, I don't want to step on any toes."

"I have something for you.."

He pulled out a few pictures: my baby picture, his baby picture, our photo booth pictures from my first ever outing, picture of us when he pied me, a picture of when I decked him in the face, he ended up with a black eye, and a meshed, sticky picture of the the both of us laughing at the same time.

I remember that day I beat his ass and we both got detention for 2 months.

"He looks just like you."

"How do you have these?"

"When we had to do that project together for psychology class, I saved the board, I've had these ever since."

"Wow. That's crazy. It's been some years."

"You can put them in your new office."

"What?"

"Your new—

"Did you just a say new? As in a new office? As in I'm getting an office!"

I couldn't hide my excitement now!

"Your getting an office. Right next to mine."

"Thank you, Mr. Cole." I said calmly.

"Ms.Christian, the things that I do for you." He threw me a pair of keys.

As he threw me the keys, I noticed he had bruises, that he tried to cover with Dior glasses, I'll ask about that later.

"Still doesn't mean I'll take it." I threw the keys back at him.

"I can't be bought. You called me nothing, so I'll show you something."

I continued working, keeping things strictly professional and to a minimum.

I decided to go back to LeSane's crib after work but before I could go, here came my warden.

He grabbed me softly,

"Are you coming home?"

"I'm working remotely as of right now and I have no home. I'm a lodger at most."

"Come home." He said sternly yet, his eyes even threatened to water.

He came to work today in a patterned suit with a white tie. He really needed my help.

"No, I'll see you in the office tomorrow. But for now I have to get to where I'm going. Goodbye Mr.Cole."

"Leigh...just for tonight. We need to talk."

"Fine. But tomorrow wear a tan suit."

"Will do."

"Wait, Mr. Cole?"

"Yes?"

"What happened to your face."

"Got into a fight."

"A fight? With who? For what?"

"I, uh, I fought for something I was passionate about. It got physical, no big deal."

"Hmph, Mack must've met his match."
--
Kaine

Later on that night

I was bored while Leigh was awake and I checked on her every once in awhile, this time though I decided to tell her the truth about my bruises.

She cooked for me, so in gratitude I decided to take the  baby.

She did the laundry and cleaned the whole house, all the way until midnight. That's just how bad it was.

I told her to rest in her old room.

"Leigh, may I come in?"

"Sure."

"Look Noa, there's your mommy." He cooed happily,

"Mama."

"Awww my baby, you're giving uncle Kaine some trouble?"

"No, he's a really good boy. You've done well."

"Thank you."

"May I sit." I asked,

She laughed, "Sure. You're acting different."

"I was reminded of a memory that I had buried so deeply into my closet the other day and it hit me to my core and hurt me physically. Seeing you and Noa together made me realize that memory is still haunting me and that's why I was so afraid to interact with him. I feel so guilty keeping you away from him. You asked about these bruises. But they aren't just physical injuries. I did so much wrong by you and others... I don't know what would do if I lost--."

I sat down, with Noa in my chest. It's like he was comforting me.

He could feel how heavy my heart was.

I know that I'm not his father. But I'd honestly kill for him and if I'm being very candid, I wish he was my son.

I'm not getting any younger and I know that I loved him more than life itself, and I wasn't even involved in the process of making him.

Maybe that's why I feel so guilty.

This has been weighing on me since the abortion.

"What's going on?"

"I.. I'm sorry Leigh. I'm sorry for..making you do the unthinkable, unspeakable thing that I made you do. I wasn't there for you then or now—
..
Leigh

My heart started pounding.

"Kaine, calm down." He had nervous tears rolling down his cheeks.

"Where's this coming from?"

"My delivery."

"Your delivery? Your chandeliers..LeSane delivered it. Didn't he?"

He nodded,

"We exchanged words and I had to beat that niggas ass. I'm not going to lie to you. But I stopped myself from doing any damage because I could see how much he felt for you. It reminded me of how I was, back in the day, I'd do anything for you."

"He mentioned my abortion?"

He nodded,

"Kaine, although, it was not an optimal choice, you nor I would have been able to follow our dreams. You didn't force me. You know my motha' did. But? It didn't help that when I told you, you asked me who's it was. Knowing damn well you were my first and only time."

"I remember, how could I forget?"
..