twenty-six | true

Leigh

I looked at my handsome boy.

Instantly, an intense wave of shame came over me.

"Baby..."

"You want to hold him.."

I nodded, Kaine handed me Noa.

I held him as tight as I could.

"Mama, loves you snooka wooka tooka—."

"Okay, Leigh..." Kaine laughed.

"I love you Noa."

"Aww baby boy ...I love you.." I repeated as I held him closer.

I looked at him, "I feel like..I've been so selfish. This move to California, not putting him first..always. He deserves a better mother and you deserve a better partner and wife. "

"You have been selfish. But I don't expect anything less from someone raised by selfish people, and become selfless themselves. This was your opportunity to be about you and only you."

I was flabbergasted by his candor, I gasped.

"I'm not meaning to bring you down Leigh.."

"Its what I needed to hear."

"Noa, you ready to come to daddy?"

"Kaine..are you really ready for this? You didn't ask for this."

"Ready to be father of the year? Hell yea. You're right, I didn't ask for this, however I know that nigga Grant ain't bout shit, we're married, you didn't ask for that. And I love Noa, he loves me, plus, I knew we'd have a family one day." He laughed.

"And I know that we must succeed in our project, in order for Noa to have a life. I've been selfish, my whole entire life. I didn't get everything I've ever wanted. But it was damn near the American Dream. The nigga version. It's all been handed to me. I got the grades, the finest clothes and diamonds on me dancing. I had the athletics, the girls, and my momma loved me no matter how much I looked like my daddy. I don't want y'all wanting for nothing. I want to be selfless, for once. He allows that. I'd always been selfish with you, he's that buffer,"

"He's offers me another chance. I'm willing to raise him right, beyond our contract. Regardless of where you are in the world."

..
Kaine

"Slowly.."

"I got it."

"No, the hell you don't. C'mon babygirl."

She wrapped her legs around my waist, her head lied down defeated on my shoulder, as we went up the stairs.

It's been two weeks since she's been out of the hospital. She's still bruised physically and mentally but mostly, she's grateful to have survived his attack.

We had to postpone her meeting with Grant. LeSane did her in pretty bad,

He cracked her ribs, damn near broke her nose, she had stitches on the back of her head and neck, and damaged her vocal cords.

He didn't look like the type of guy to have that in him but he made a fatal mistake by underestimating me and hurting her.

"Why are you being so nice to me?"
..
Leigh

I looked up at him.

He's never been so tender.

Babygirl this, babygirl that.