twelve | optimal

Present Day, 2019

Kaine

"Kaine, although, it was not an optimal choice, you nor I would have been able to follow our dreams. You didn't force me. You know my motha' did. But? It didn't help that when I told you, you asked me who's it was. Knowing damn well you were my first and only time."

I just sat and listened as she recollected the whole ordeal,

"That solidified my womanhood and we never talked about it again, ever. I stayed in that shelter, told my mother, she really wanted me gone then..Mary couldn't stand the sight of me, and you abandoned me. All for me to get the abortion. But my life changed because of it."

"I'm so sorry Leigh, I had no idea that you were a virgin, that we had done anything, and I honestly thought you were going to keep it and I was prepared to step up."

She nodded, "Like I said you hurt me in more ways than one. I know it wasn't LeSane's place but if I was a man I would have done the same thing. The literal only thing I thank Grant for, is Noa. He was meant to be here."

With that, she rubbed my eye, and led me out of the room, packed a small bag, and left in her town car with Noa.

"Please stay."

"I can't, not tonight." Her voice broke.

"The least I can do is keep Noa.."

"Please." I pleaded.

He reached out for me, "Da!"

"Oh no.."

"Oh no.."

"We gotta go Kaine."

I grabbed her arm,

"I can at least give him a hug, we'll discuss this later."

She obliged, handing him to me,

I hugged him tightly and kissed his forehead.

"Bye Noa, see you soon..."

..

I ended my night watching Netflix in the living room.

Frio was calling my phone once again tonight so I answered finally for the first time.

"Yo, Frio."

"Son, you have to come to my house party."

"I can't. I have work and Leigh will literally have my head if I'm late to work again."

"Who's Leigh?"

"My assistant."

"Fuck her. She works for you. It's not like y'all fucking."

"You right."

"You coming or what?"

"I'll be there."
--
LeSane

Leigh came in super late. That nigga must've worked her like a dog, it was like two in the morning. She fell asleep immediately but her phone buzzed constantly.

Finally, I had had enough.

"Leigh." I whispered,

"No, daddy I don't wanna get up."

"It's Kaine." I raised her phone.

"Man, Kaine fuck you..ugly..ass." She said half sleeping.

I shook her awake, her eyes fluttered and then closed again. Then they opened. She blinked twice, "LeSane? Is everything okay? You need anything?"

She hopped up immediately.

I laid her back down,

"Yes, everything's fine. You're phones been ringin' off the hook. And it's been your boss."