twenty-two | don dada

Leigh

Nico laughed, "You got a feisty one. Upgraded ya life. You got a deal."

We both shared a look as Nico got up from the ground.

"You're in luck, doll. This isn't my good suit."

"Mack, I trust you'll replicate it, with this one in your team. She stands in business, might need her for myself. You've always been a smart man. At least smarter than them other young niggas. Make the right decision Mack. Doll."

With that, Nico left.

"I'm sorry Kaine. I lost my temper. Fuck."

"That was so stupid of you."

"Kaine—

"I said no reaction."

"I know but—

"But, it was strategic. It showed that you don't take bullshit. He's intrigued."

"Intrigued?"

"Yes, he's going to be distracted by you. By the thought of you."

"Are you going to replicate it?"

"I can only try to do what I did with your ring and the other copies, but update it to modern times."

I nodded in understanding, he wanted it for himself.

"Leigh, someone's on the line for you. They won't tell me their name."

"Be there in a sec. Actually, can you transfer it to Mr.Cole's main line."

"Yes ma'am."
..
Kaine

"This is Leigh."

"Leigh!"

"Yes?"

Leigh and I look stunned as we heard the belligerent voice of the person on the other side of the phone.

"May I ask who I'm speaking with."

"Grant. Don't play fucking stupid Leigh."

I saw the color leave her body instantly.

"Grant? What—what, watch it. How'd you know where to find me?"

"Your mother. A woman who actually cares about my son."

If looks could kill..

"Now, where the fuck is my son and why you playing house with another nigga? Married at that.. A decent mothafucka' would've at least sent an invitation to the wedding or at least told me the nigga's name if he was gonna be around my child. I gotta find out from your mama and the internet just confirmed the shit."

She put her hand up to silence me,

"Your child? He's your child now? Grant, as I recall you abandoned me and your son months ago."

"You left Leigh. You said LA was calling your name. It was only a matter of time that you moved on and I found you. And  you moved on pretty quickly from the looks of it. Don't put this on me. It ain't even about us, I want to see my son. He deserves a father. His real father."

I can't take this.

I begged Leigh, with my eyes, to allow me to say something.

"I got it."

"Grant, if you would like to see Noa, then say that. But don't insult my husband nor my parenting skills. You were never there. You can see him but you will have to explain to him your absence."