twenty-three | surrender

Kaine

I began talking to Leigh about our project.

"The heart of this undertaking lies in the development and implementation of the replica microchip algorithm."

"Okay Kaine.." she said rolling her eyes.

"I can't remember what we did but from the knowledge acquired during my research, I'll be delineating its intricate functionality, data processing procedures, and set of instructions that will emulate the original chip's behavior."

"I know this already. Can I go?"

"Look, I need to explain just listen. Damn."

"After this we'll start  the programming phase, leveraging the development tools and environment at our disposal. "

"Given the complexity, it's likely that low-level programming will be essential to replicate the chip's intricate operations accurately. Rigorous testing and debugging will be the next crucial step to ascertain that the replica works."

"We want it to work?"

"Yes, but for one time only. It's going to detonate if it's ever tried again."

"Detonation? Kaine this is a lot. We're blowing niggas up."

"But it's not getting our hands dirty. He's gonna want to do a test and then try it again for the real thing. Him and his whole operation is gone. And materials were brought by him, it's not even traceable to us. Freak accident."

"So what do you need me for?"

"I need you map it out for me. My hands are too big."

"Ok. Is that all you needed?"

"Yea, why the rush? You got a nigga I don't know about?"

She would come home with her clothes disheveled. She smelled like cologne, Dior specifically, and men's Dove soap and Old Spice deodorant some mornings and nights. She comes home around 1 on Wednesdays. Three on Thursdays.

She has giant hickeys that she covered with makeup, a puffy face, and swollen lips.

She carried  a large tote more often than not when leaving and tonight she wants to drive herself.

She doesn't think that I notice these things.

But I was the first person to have her ever, I would notice.

Flashback, 2010

We said that we wouldn't do this again.

But we skipped school and ended up in my bed.

"Leigh, your neck. I'm so sorry. Forget you're a lightskin shorty." I said laughing at her ferociously bruised skin but innocent eyes.

"We gotta get to the school. We said we'd never do this again. It was a one off."

"I can't help myself."

I said bringing her closer to me, letting my fingers slip in.

"I crave you.."

"Kaine, stop..." she moaned.

"You really want me to stop..fuck.." She was so wet.

"No..but—but we have to get back to school. You're gonna miss your senior night."

We were at my house. My mom and pops were gone most of the day and aunt Mary was upset with me for having a party at her house. Leigh was staying at a shelter. She didn't want me to know but I suspected it when she didn't want me dropping her off anymore and I finally followed her one day to find out. She still doesn't know that I know.