Chapter Three

I lay in my bed at six in the morning, staring at the ceiling. I can't keep my mind off Jason. I find myself thinking that I should just keep my feelings to myself. If he doesn't love me the same way, I could potentially get my feelings hurt. My phone rings, and I roll my eyes as I answer it without looking at the screen.

"Good Morning, Kerri."

"Good Morning, Mel." I laugh, realizing its Jason attempting to sound like Kerri.

"You're silly, baby. What's up?"

He laughs a little bit. "I can't get back to sleep, boo. Want to hit a restaurant and get breakfast?"

I sit up in bed and smile harder. He can't go to sleep, so he decides to call me first. Not Leslie, but me. He can't go to sleep, so he wants me to go to breakfast with him. "Maybe."

"Maybe? Girl, don't make me call Kerri on your ass."

We both share a laugh.

"It's not that I don't want to go, but I don't know. My mom sometimes start trippin' and you know how that goes."

"Come on, Mel, you know your mom is okay with us going to get breakfast before school."

I have to admit to myself that my mom is okay with me spending breakfast with Jason. My mom and older brother are crazy about him just like his parents are crazy about me. I'm just personally not sure if I should be spending this much time with him, seeing as I'm still trying to tell him I love him.

"Girl, get up and go to breakfast with me." I start laughing at Jason's deep voice. Every time he's trying to force me into something, he'd do his deep voice. Little does he know it drives me crazy. He laughs, also. Jason is so silly, and I love everything about it. "I'm hungry, girl, and you're over there debating rather or not you want a free meal. You know you want a free meal."

"I can't take you, Jason. You're so damn silly."

"I'll be over there in about an hour, okay, babe?"

I nod silently, wishing I really was his babe.

"Babe?"

I realize I didn't give an actual response. "Yeah, boo, that's fine."

"See you soon, Melly baby."

I end the call and look at my phone. My heart has never been as confused as it is at this moment. "I can't take this anymore. Are we friends, or are we more?"

I quickly dial Kerri's phone, and she picks up on the first ring. "It's not seven yet, lady."

"I know. Jason just called and asked if I wanted to go to breakfast with him."

"So? He invites you to breakfast at least twice a week. I should really start getting offended, because you guys seem to forget me."

"You are lucky you're still getting a ride to school."

She starts to laugh at me knowing I'm dead serious. "I know, right? Girl, I know you want him for yourself. Can't blame you too much."

"Ker bear, I can't tell him. I've tried. It's becoming so difficult to be his friend. His simple touches are starting to affect me. I don't know how much longer I can do this." I whine to her.

"Well . . ." She pauses, quickly. "Well, we are going to the movies Friday. I can possibly help you tell him."

I nod my head, grateful for Kerri's help. "That might work, but no blunt shit, Kerri."

Kerri laughs, "Time for Plan B."

"I mean it, Ker. I don't want you to be blunt. Like ease into it."

"I got you, Melly."