Chapter Twenty Two

It had been one week without my Jay baby. I went to the library by myself. Did homework alone and took over playing video games with my brother. I tried cooking lasagna by myself. That turned out to be a disaster with all the tears that I have cried, while trying to remember how Jason cooked his signature dish. As much as I tried not to think of him, he's all that I think about each day.

I stand looking in my mirror with tears coming to my eyes. That's another annoying thing that just wouldn't stop. I can't stop crying over him. I feel as though Jason had broken my heart, and I feel cheated on. I wipe the tears from my eyes, and roll my eyes getting sick of my daily pathetic attitude. My phone rings, and I ignore it. That's another thing I have started to do. Ignoring my phone calls. It keeps ringing, and I pick it up not wanting to talk.

"Hello?"

"Girl, why I have to call you a billion times before getting an actual answer?"

I have been neglecting Kerri lately like everything is her fault. "I'm sorry. I am just studying. What's up?"

"Terrance and I are about to head to an arcade game room. You in? I think Aaron said if you come, he'll come."

I try to remember the last time Aaron and I talked. Oh, yeah, It was when Jason and him got into it at school. I roll my eyes. Great times. I close my eyes reminiscing silently about how Jason always comes through for me.

"Hello, Melissa!"

"Oh, I'm sorry, Ker bear. I told you that I'm studying."

"Did you hear anything I said, Mel?" I can hear the frustration in her voice.

"I don't want to go."

She sighs, and I know she is at a loss for words. "Please?"

"Kerri, I don't feel like seeing Aaron. Things between me and him didn't go well. Which to be fair, is mostly your fault, anyway."

"How?"

She really does sound shocked, as if she couldn't recall the events that went down with the whole Aaron situation. "Kerri, just leave it as I don't want to go. I don't want to go."

"You're sad, and I'm supposed to be your friend. His friend. And you're both . . .

"He's sad?" That thought didn't cross my mind at all. Not once. Late at night, I pictured him laughing about taking advantage of me and still ending up with that bitch.

"Yes." She says it like it is obvious. "You do know that he loved you, Mel. Hell, he still loves you. I mean, it's unfortunate that things happened the way that they did, but you loved him, and he loved you, also. He's hurt over the whole thing, too. When I talk to him, he acts just like you do towards me. Don't want to go anywhere, or do anything. He wants to talk to you, but you told him to just leave you alone. I mean, Melly, you two make each other happy."

"Are you saying kiss and make up? I mean, cuz that's why we are now in this situation. If we would have just stayed friends, all of this would have been irrelevant. What I don't understand is how he thinks after everything we have been through since school started, that it was okay for him to kiss Leslie? He takes my virginity and makes all these promises, and still thinks that his actions aren't supposed to hurt me, Kerri." I shake my head feeling upset.

Kerri sighs, "That's not what he thinks, Mel. You need to talk to him."

"He isn't a dummy, Ker. Oh, for the love of everything, stop making excuses for him. I'm hurt. Everyone thinks this is so easy. I lost my best friend."

"Then talk to him, boo."

I shake my head stubbornly. "No, because he made his choice. I'm not it."

Kerri sighs. I know she feels like she is stuck in the middle, but I'm not trying to put her there. "Okay." She sighs sadly. "Okay, well Terrance and I are about to meet up. If you change your mind, don't hesitate."