Chapter Eight

Rolling over onto my side in my bed, I open my eyelids just enough to check the time on the alarm clock near my bedside. Seeing that the time is passed noon, I groan and close my eyelids. I let out a groan, realizing that I have to still deal with Jason and Aaron. A week ago, life was less complicating. After several minutes of agonizing hunger pains, I finally decide to get out of bed and do something with my life. Dragging my feet to my bedroom door, I grabbed the robe hanging over the door. I slide my feet into my furry slippers lazily.

I walk towards the kitchen and stop short when I hear a familiar voice. Oh my God! Like why is he here? Jason lets out a hearty laugh to something Charles has said.

I look over my shoulders, debating if I should just go back to my room and hide for the rest of the day. I roll my eyes in irritation at the sound of Jason's voice as he talks happily with Charles.

I trudge towards the kitchen with thoughts of putting an end to my belly begging me for nourishment.

"Mel, you were knocked out!" Jason practically screams the moment I enter the kitchen. I cut my eyes at him, annoyed that he believes we are cool after he slipped away to Leslie's home. He lead me to believe he was staying the entire night. "Hey, Mel, I got to get some shoes today. You want to go?" He asks, completely ignoring the icy expression on my face.

I grab a bagel and put it in the toaster. "You should ask Leslie to go with you." I say coldly with my back to him.

I quickly look over my shoulder to see his expression. The smile on Jason's face drop and from the pained look in his eyes, I can tell I killed his joyous spirit he had only moments ago. Goal accomplished. From the corner of my eyes, Charles pretends to shudder and stands up.

I glance at my brother as he throws his hands up, laughing out loud.
"I'm sorry, but the temperature just dropped in here. On that note, talk to the two later." He shakes his head walking out the kitchen. Jason puts his sandwich down and just sits in his chair, looking stunned.

"You called me this morning?"

Finally, my bagel pops up, but suddenly I don't have an appetite anymore. I lean against the kitchen island, bringing my eyes to his.

"Yep. Leslie answered your phone telling me that you went there earlier this morning, because her parents were out of town." I answer, trying to leave the hurt out of my voice.

"Wow, Mel . . . I. . ." He shakes his head at a loss for words.

I want so badly to ask him what happened between him and her last night, but that's not my business. Maybe Kerri is right about him wanting to choose times when he wants to be just a friend.

"It's fine, she's your girlfriend, and I guess you had to make up for leaving her at the movies."

"I didn't know you called me."

"I didn't know that I would have to call you this morning. I mean, you did fell asleep in my bed, so I naturally thought when I opened my eyes, you would still be there. Silly me, huh?" I keep my eyes on him, and I'm sure he could clearly hear the frustration in my voice.

He stands up, breaking eye contact with me. "I'm about to go. You're trying to make me feel guilty for being with Leslie last night. You act as though she isn't my girlfriend.

No, that's not me, buddy. I just sit there as he grabs the rest of his sandwich and cleans his spot off the table.

"Man, this is crazy." He glances at me, and I don't say anything. I'm not going to say anything else. It is already clear to me that he did have sex with her this morning by his reaction. "I got to hear it from her how I'm always choosing you over her. I come over here to spend some time with you, and now I'm hearing how you're upset that I went to my girlfriend's house earlier this morning." He gives me a look. "Really?" He walks out the kitchen angrily, but I am willing to bet money he isn't as angry as me.