Chapter Four

I lay in my bed with a bowl of popcorn, listening to Supernatural and lost in my own depression about the hazel eyed boy who is my best friend. When my phone rings, I lazily check the number on the screen. Although I don't recognize the number calling me, I decide to answer the call anyway. I'm completely bored and I'm sick of being in my own head about a love I lost that was never mine to begin with.

"Hello?"

"Hey, Melissa, this Aaron from French Two. I hope you don't mind, but I was wondering if you took notes? I had to leave class twenty minutes earlier today and . . ."

I put a face with a name as I set my popcorn bowl to the side to grab my book bag and dig for my notes. Aaron is pretty easy on the eyes. He has a low cut fade, deep brown bedroom eyes, and full luscious lips. With the exception of a few pimples on his dark brown skin, he is still nice to look at. It doesn't hurt that he's on the varsity football team, and built quite nice. He has little more muscle on his body than Jason, but his 5'11 frame carries it nicely.

"I hope it's no bother. Kerri gave me your number." His deep voice is so soothing, but it doesn't keep me from getting irritated by his words.

Why the hell didn't she tell me that? "Oh, it's not a problem, Aaron. I'm looking for them now. Kerri didn't tell me she gave my number to someone." I try to say as lightly as I could muster, wanting to hide the fact that I will most definitely curse my friend out for this one. I don't particularly like anyone having my number without my permission. "I found them. I took a lot of notes, so we might be on the phone for a while." I laugh, nervously. "I mean, maybe you want me to type it out and email you?"

I grab my laptop preparing to type it up and email him.

He chuckles a little, causing me to raise an eyebrow in question. "That's sweet, but I think I should maybe be a little honest."

I power the laptop on. "About what?"

"I called to talk to you." He clears his throat a little. "I don't know, see how you doing and if you ate ... how your night going? Just to talk, you know?"

I slam my laptop shut with my mouth wide opened. Oh, shit! I'm definitely giving Kerri a piece of my mind. He called to talk to me? Why the hell would she waste her time giving him my number, knowing I'm a taken woman? Well, that is still a work in progress ... Still, why?

"Still there?"

"Um . . ." I sit in the center of my bed at a loss for words. I need a polite way to get rid of Aaron from French Two. "Yes."

"I'm sorry. Are you busy?"

"No." I confess. "I'm just caught off guard a little."

"Oh."

It's silence on both our lines.

Finally, he decides to break the silence. "So, I been crushing on you since midsummer. I've never said anything, because I thought you and Jason had something going on. I recently found out that you and him are just friends. I know this is short notice, but maybe we can go out?"

My mouth drops opened, and I quickly close it, shaking my head. I am going to kill that damn girl. Why would she let him ask me out? Why wouldn't she at the very least warn me that I was going to get asked out? "Kerri really should have told me that she gave my number to you." Is the only thing I find myself saying to him. What else could I possibly say?

"I didn't mean to get her in trouble. I just kinda like you."

I giggle nervously, still trying to find something useful to say. Aaron asked me out.

"You're smiling. That's good."

"Aaron, I'm not sure if I'm trying to date. I'm focused on school and things." My voice drifts off a little, trying to come up with some more reasons why I have to reject him. And things being Jason. I always give this line when asked out on a date.