Chapter Thirteen

Jason and I are studying in my bedroom. I sit cross legged in the center of my bed. Jason lays in front of me so engrossed in his book. I glance at him as he concentrates on the page he's looking at.

"Are you staying for dinner, Jay baby?" I ask him, resisting the urge to run my fingers through his curls.

He nods, "Yeah, I am." He finally looks at me. "Wait, today is Wednesday. Never mind."

I laugh at him, shaking my head. In my house, everyone has a chance to cook dinner. My mom has a such a busy schedule with work that Charles and I help her out. Charles cooks dinner usually Wednesdays and Fridays. My mom cooks Sundays, Tuesdays, and Thursdays. I'm supposed to cook Mondays and Saturdays, but it doesn't always work out that way.

"I can cook you dinner tonight, Jay." I say, sweetly.

He flashes a big snile. "Yeah, I love your cooking, Mel, but how about I cook for you?"

"Lasagna?" I giggle as I watch him give me a look.

"Mel, you are not about to use and abuse me just to get me to cook your favorite dish."

I sigh sadly and bat my eyelashes at him. "Mmm . . . I sure have a taste for that."

Jason laughs as Charles walks into my room. "Mel, mom said she has to work over time tonight. We'll see her in the morning. What's up, Jas?"

My mom working overtime is nothing new. She's a hardworking single mom. When it comes to work and providing, she has no problem rolling her sleeves up to get it.

"Just studying. Hey, man, what's for dinner tonight?" Jason smirks, after asking him the question.

"I don't know. Whatever you guys feel like cooking."

"Tonight is your night, Charles." I point out to him, in case he had forgotten.

"Oh, I know, but mom is stuck at work, so . . ." He shrugs his shoulders like it's obvious we should know. "I'll talk to y'all later, I'm about to chill with some friends. You two stay out of trouble." Charles gets ready to head out my room.

Jason laughs out loud. "We weren't eating your cooking anyway."

Charles sticks his middle finger up at Jason, smiling. "You know my shit good, boy." He walks out my room, closing the door behind himself.

I grab my cellphone, getting ready to call someplace to place an order for pick up. "I'm about to order something. You want something, babe?"

He closes his book and smiles at me. "Yeah, pizza."

"I was thinking Chinese food." I tell him, looking online on my phone for someplace close to us.

"You asked me if I wanted something to eat."

"Yeah, as far as Chinese."

"You didn't say that, Mel. You can't just add extra words, because I didn't choose what you wanted." Jason continues to argue with me.

"It's cool. I know your favorite, anyway." I laugh at him, dismissing him.

"She says she knows my favorite like she knows me so well."

I dial the number quickly in my phone and stick my tongue out at him. "She does. I'm going to order you your orange chicken with one egg roll." I wink at him.

*****

Jason and I are finishing up our food in my bedroom. My phone vibrates, and I see that it's Kerri.

Heyyyy MELLLYYYY

Wats up, lady?

Terrance wants to go out Fri to a new teen club. Block Party. Doors just opened last month.