eight.

Monique sat across from Aubrey and Baka, a smug look on her face. "I did it," she said. "I got the search warrant for your house thrown out."

Aubrey raised an eyebrow. "How'd you manage that?"

Monique leaned back in her chair, clearly enjoying the moment. "Well, I did a little digging and it turns out that at the time of Lorenzo's murder, you weren't living at that house, and this case seems to be built around circumstantial evidence so there is no reason for your current home to be searched"

Aubrey frowned, not sure where this was going. "So?"

"So, the search warrant was obtained under the assumption that you were living at that house and had committed the crime there. But since you weren't even living there, the warrant was invalid."

Aubrey sat back in his chair, letting out a sigh of relief. "That's exactly what I needed to hear Nique" Aubrey grinned.

"As for you, Bak-,Travis...the search at your residence was clear"

"Now look, this case still hasn't been thrown out for whatever reason and I'm completely sure it's the witness, those files are still sealed"

"Are you planning on unsealing those files, or?" Baka asked, his frustration growing as Monique uttered the same sentiments about this almost every time.

"Do you realise how much I put myself through for you, Travis? I can't just illegally enter files, I'm working on it like I said. You don't like it, you find another criminal lawyer that'll defend you" Monique snapped. Baka's nostrils flared before he took a moment and nodded.

"Now that we're over that, what I was getting to was the fact that this case has not been thrown out yet so we need to prepare ourselves for a few things. Firstly, if you both are arrested or asked to come in for questioning. We just need to be prepared. I'll ask you a few questions"

"How can they arrest us if there's no evidence?"Aubrey interrupted.

"Circumstantial. They're building their case and just about anything can be used" Monique frowned. "Let's get into questioning mode. Aubrey and Travis, What happened on the day of the alleged crime? What were you both doing?"

"We were both at Habibz Cafe in Montreal" Aubrey cleared his throat.

"There are numerous people that can account for us being there, I'm sure there's some CCTV footage than can be retrieved. Our friend Habibz owns the spot" Baka said.

"Great, well that eliminates opportunity and means. I'll ask Habibz if he has CCTV footage of you guys in the place, we can find traffic footage or anything similar"

"And if he doesn't?" Aubrey asked.

"Phone records, your phone would've pinged by a cellphone tower in Montreal. I'll find something, trust me" Monique reassured him. "By any chance, do you think their circumstantial evidence is based around motive? Meaning, do you both have a motive for wanting Lorenzo Dean dead?"

Aubrey and Baka exchanged awkward looks.

"Well..." Baka trailed off.

"Look, outside of this lawyer-client situation, I know you two. You can trust me" Monique raised an eyebrow.

"Look, Lorenzo had history with us-" Aubrey admitted.

"Define history" Monique leaned in.

"Lorenzo shot me a couple weeks before his death, on my wedding day, he held up a gun at Camilla and he was responsible for the whole crew going to jail all those years ago"

"That is a lot of fuckin' history!" Monique looked shocked for a moment, she then nodded slowly, taking in the information. "So essentially, yes, you both do technically have a motive?"