twenty-three.

Camilla smoothed down her dress, the fabric a comforting shield against the nerves gnawing at her. It had been a little over two weeks since Aubrey's arrest, but it didn't change how restless she was thinking about him and how worried she was.

Today was Aubrey's bail hearing. As much as she wasn't able to get a visit as quickly as she'd liked. She wanted to him to see that she was here for him, touch him and reassure him that despite the circumstances, they'd be together.

The drive to the courthouse felt longer than it should've, each mile weighed down by the anticipation of the visit. Pulling into the parking lot, Camilla took a deep breath, steeling herself for what lay ahead.

She checked her reflection in the rearview mirror, adjusting a stray strand of hair before gathering her shoulder bag and stepping out.

Camilla made her way inside, the unfamiliar routine of security checks and sign-ins did little to ease her nerves, but she tried to act as normal as possible, fueled by the thought of seeing Aubrey again.

As she took her seat, her heart quickened at the sight of Aubrey entering the room, escorted by a guard.

Their eyes met and Aubrey's face lit up with a smile, a brief respite from the weight of their situation. Camilla returned the smile, her cheeks rosey like she was a giddy teenager with a crush.

"You look beautiful." Aubrey mouthed to her.

"I love you." she mouthed back.

"You more." He said, stifling a light chuckle as he stood next to Monique.

The tension was palpable as Aubrey's bail hearing commenced. Monique stood by Aubrey's side, her demeanor as enigmatic as ever. Camilla sat anxiously in the gallery, her eyes fixed on her husband.

"Nique, what's wrong?" Aubrey whispered.

"Since I disclosed the prosecutorial misconduct to Judge Reynolds, they've challenged my dual representation."

"What's the plan?" Aubrey inquired, a note of urgency creeping into his voice.

"I had to make a choice... and I chose you," Monique affirmed, her commitment unwavering. "Let's focus on the hearing for now. We'll talk later."

Aubrey felt some sort of guilt knowing that Baka wouldn't have Monique as his lawyer anymore. This added to the existing uncertainty.

Judge Reynolds presided over the proceedings, his expression stern yet impartial. Monique wasted no time, her mind sharp and focused on securing Aubrey's release.

"Your Honor," Monique began, her voice smooth but with a hint of steel, "we are here today to request bail for my client, Aubrey. The prosecution's case against him is built on shaky ground, riddled with hearsay and assumptions. The evidence against him is purely circumstantial, a mere concoction of animosity between him and the victim, Lorenzo. Aubrey was not even in town when the murder occurred, and there's no forensic evidence tying him to the crime."

Justin Thompson, representing the prosecution, rose to his feet, his posture exuding confidence. "Your Honor, while we respect Ms. Michaels' defense, her dual representation poses a conflict of interest that cannot be ignored. It undermines the integrity of these proceedings."

Monique met Justin's gaze with an unwavering stare. "I'm well aware of your concerns, Mr. Thompson, and rest assured, I am now solely representing Mr. Graham. Judge Reynolds was made aware of this earlier"

"Mr Thompson, I hope your rebuttal is as strong as your focus on Ms Michaels. Please continue Ms Michaels" Judge Reynolds interrupted.

"Aubrey has strong ties to the community, he is a loving husband and father to two very young children, and poses no flight risk or danger to society. Despite his misdemeanours when he was younger, he has since turned his life around." Monique said.