eighteen.

Aubrey had been out handling business as he called it, but the urgency of his actions was palpable as he arrived home to his family.

His demeanor, usually composed, now carried a hint of agitation, a reflection of the uncertainty looming over his clandestine dealings.

Camilla sat on the floor, engrossed in coloring with Alijah. Despite their therapist, Nicola's assignment of them spending more quality time together, life's demands intervened.

"Such a good job!" She smiled, watching him. He wasn't doing anything other than scribbling across the page, but that was enough for Camilla.

"Daddy, look!" Alijah said, running towards Aubrey with the large piece of paper.

"Wow, my little Picasso" Aubrey chuckled, picking up Alijah and walking over to where Camilla was. "This looks so good, Alijah!"

"I did these with Aaron earlier" Camilla showed him the baby paint handprints alongside the other smears on the page, evidently also done by the baby. "I'm trying to tire him out, I did an activity with Aaron when Alijah was taking a nap, and now an activity with Alijah while Aaron is gone to bed"

"I know I say this often, but you're a really great mother" Aubrey smiled, sitting down on the couch with Alijah.

"Thank you" she grinned, standing up to sit next them and kissing Aubrey on the cheek.

"I want mommy" Alijah climbed over Aubrey and sat on Camilla.

"A traitor already" Aubrey joked. "Can you believe that one day he's going to be an adult?"

"He'll always be my little baby," Camilla replied, showering Alijah with affection. "Right?"

"Not a baby, I'm a big boy" Alijah replied, puffing up his chest.

"Okay, you're a big boy!" Camilla said playfully. "How was earlier?" She asked, turning to Aubrey.

"It was...fine. But, I gotta go to Miami-"

"Aubrey..." Camilla sighed. "I thought you said-"

"Because of that shit with Mitchell the other day, Baks didn't get to do the drop and it just means now the people we're dealing with over there think it's something weird going on"

"So you gotta go over there and reassure them?"

"Exactly" he sighed, nodding. "But, it's business then I'm back home. No strip clubs, no nothing"

"Not even an impromptu golfing session?" Camilla teased.

"You know what, I wasn't even thinking about that, but I probably should squeeze that in" Aubrey chuckled.

"We both know you're trash at golf, you just won't accept it"

"Hey, there's always room for improvement. Remember when you couldn't cook? Now look at you, a real chef, eh?"

"Oh really? Stay your ass in Miami" she playfully pushed him, as he laughed out loud. "Are you going by yourself?"

"Nah, the usual suspects-" Aubrey paused mid sentence as he noticed Alijah's eyes slowly closing as he dozed off in Camilla's arms. "Like a light. I'll put him to bed" he chuckled, beckoning for Camilla to pass Alijah to him.

As Aubrey came back downstairs from putting Alijah to sleep, Camilla was sat holding something behind her back as she waited for him to walk over.

"I have something for you" Camilla said sitting next to Aubrey.

"What is it?" He grinned, looking at her.

"I would say try and guess, but I know where your mind is going to take you" she giggled, handing him a medium sized jewellery box.

Aubrey raised his eyebrow before slowly opening the box. He paused for a moment, staring into the box like he'd been transported back in time.

"How did you get this back?" Aubrey's eyes glistened, looking up at her.

*almost a decade ago*

"Aubrey, you can't sell this," Camilla's voice crackled through the phone as she sifted through his belongings, a tinge of desperation underlying her words.

Aubrey found himself at a crossroads, grappling with the harsh reality of his circumstances. He needed the money to pay his lawyer, he'd used all he possibly could and was now at the point that needed to sell his owl chain to avoid dipping into savings and rainy day money. Would seem superficial to some, but that chain was the first "big purchase" Auburn had made for himself and also marked the start of his other business ventures.

"C, I have no choice," Aubrey's voice, strained with resignation, resonated down the line.

"I can try and figure something out," Camilla offered, her determination evident even from a distance.

But Aubrey's resolve remained unwavering. "No, I don't want you to do that—"

"But this is so important to you," Camilla persisted, her concern palpable.

"I know but fuck it, my freedom is my important than some chain" Aubrey conceded, the weight of his words hanging heavy in the air.

*

"I couldn't retrieve the original, but I got this one made. I tried to get it back, but with it being a long time ago, the jeweller said it was hard to trace but I hope you still like this one" Camilla explained, her smile radiant as she watched Aubrey's eyes flicker with emotion as he examined the chain.

"Baby, this shit really means so much to me. Thank you" Aubrey murmured, his voice thick with gratitude and disbelief.

Drawing her onto his lap, Aubrey peppered kisses along Camilla's neck, his love for her evident in every tender gesture. "I love you, for real. More than you'll probably ever know" Aubrey said, gazing up at her as she gently caressed his face.

"I love you too" Camilla smiled, looking into his eyes and planting a kiss on his lips.

The following morning was full of Aubrey rushing to make sure he has gotten himself situated for his flight in a few hours. He was supposed to sort that out last night, however Camilla's gift had changed the trajectory of his night but he wasn't complaining at all.

"It's only two days, I promise baby" Aubrey said, catching Camilla watching him as he packed.

"I know" she said, walking over to him and handing him his passport. "I was tempted to hide this shit, but you know I can't commit to being a hater fully"

"Thank you. I commend you for that, I would've hid your shit" Aubrey joked, planting a kiss on her lips as he placed the passport in his hand luggage. "Are you gonna be annoyed at me if I go wake up the kids to say bye?"

"I guess not" Camilla laughed, rolling her eyes.

With Aubrey heading to Miami, Camilla was trying her best to bury her worries about him falling into his old habits of being more focused on having fun than doing what he needed to do. But she reminded herself that she could trust him. Or so she hoped.