-sixteen-

NIKOLAI EVANS

"Nik. Nikolai!" I felt someone shaking me and my eyes slowly peeled open.

"Come on, man. We have to get out of here." Silas said. I could hear sirens in the background and I knew there'd be the ambulance, police and fire department here in under a minute.

Si helped me to my feet, sitting me in the car before he started driving. He handed me a bottle of water and I downed it all, leaning my head back onto the headrest.

"Blue has got our inside men making sure the police don't suspect anything. He'll check the hospitals after to check on everyone who was inside during the explosion."

"It's been an hour we should head back home." I mumbled, only wanting to see Amari.

"Someone just tried to blow us up, Nikolai, we're going to speak to Dad. Call him." He said, handing me my phone.

I rang Dad, making sure to tell him to make sure our auntie was there too.

We arrived not long after and walked into Dad's office, where he was sitting comfortably in his chair. "Are you ok?" We nodded and sat down by Mum.

"Let me see you both." She mumbled and shook her head. "No, you're getting checked out by one of the doctors before we discuss anything."

I took a shower after I was given some painkillers and the shards of glass were removed from my back. Yes, it hurt like a bitch but it's nothing I haven't been through before so I'm not too bothered.

Aunt Harper, Jake's stepmum, was there when we got back and she sighed heavily. "What did he do this time?" She asked, already knowing Jake would be the issue if she was being called in.

"He tried to kill us."

"How do you know it was Jake?" Dad asked.

"You've met that boy, Alex, it's expected." Auntie said.

"Nik wouldn't give him a pay rise and he was clearly pissed about it." Dad sighed heavily.

"He's been stealing from us and he had the audacity to ask for more?"

"I mean, at least he asked this time." Mum said with a shrug and we all turned to face her in confusion, making her laugh. "Sorry, you guys should've gotten rid of him ages ago."

"We only kept him here because of Harper."

"Don't blame me, I don't even like him. I couldn't care less about what you do with him." Dad looked at her shocked. "I'm divorcing Nathan." She said, referring to Jake's dad. "He's different compared to when we first met. The love isn't there anymore, I'm not staying so he can destroy me. Do whatever you want with him and his son, I've washed my hands of them." Aunt Harper said before standing up.

"Wait, before you leave. After Nikolai told him he wouldn't give him anymore money, Jake said 'he said you would say that' then he said 'he sends his regards.' You got any idea of who he was talking about?" Silas asked.

"No. Jake's barely been home recently if I'm honest. I don't know what he's been doing, he just tells his dad he's going to see an old friend every time he leaves though. I'm not sure if that means anything but still." We nodded and said our goodbyes before she left.

"What are you going to do, son?" I shrugged and pulled out my phone to check the time.

"I'll deal with it tomorrow, I need to get back to Amari." I watched his eyebrows furrow and he looked at me in confusion.

"Leave." He said in a low voice and Si and Mum left wordlessly. "So you finally start talking to girls and you just completely forget you're the head of a mafia?" Dad asked as he got up from his chair to stand in front of me. I was slightly taller than him but we were close enough to eye level.