-twenty-

NIKOLAI EVANS

"Are you serious?" Dad yelled.

"What did I do this time?" I said, standing up to face him.

"Instead of catching up on the work you've missed, you're in here with her. How many times do I have to remind you of your responsibilities?"

"If you're sick of going over it, why don't you just stop repeating yourself?"

"Nikolai-"

"I don't understand why you don't like her! I'm happy, Dad. Why can't you just let me have that?"

"Be happy all you want, just remember you're the head of a mafia. You're making me question why I even passed it down to you." He shouted, making me expression drop.

When he retired and passed down the mafia he made it clear how proud he was of me, that I had worked hard for the role and deserved it. Now he's taking it all back?

"I'm not doing this with you right now." I said, picking my phone up from the table.

"Does she even know?" He asked, referring to the mafia.

"No."

"Are you going to tell her?"

"Why do you care, you've made it clear you don't like her."

"Son-" I put the office key in his hand and took my suit jacket from my chair.

"Lock the door on your way out." I walked out, making my way to Mar.

"I told Danny I was going with you." She said with a huge smile on her face but it dropped when she saw my expression. "What's wrong, Niko?"

I should tell her about the mafia. It's not fair to keep it from her. She should know what she's getting into before we go any further.

"Niko?" I looked down at her to see her eyes filled with concerned.

"Mar, I need-" I cut myself off, biting my tongue and shaking my head. I can't do it. "It's nothing honestly, let's go get Manny." I said with a smile, pecking her lips.

We walked out of her office and I tried to take her hand but she dodged me. "We're still at work, Niko." She whispered, making me raise my eyebrow.

"Everyone already knows I like you."

"No they don't."

"Then I'll make sure they do." I said with a smirk.

"What does that even mean- Nikolai!" Mar called out once I stood on a table.

"Excuse me, everyone!" I waited until I had everyone looking at me before I started talking. "Just wanted everyone to know that I really, really, really like Amari Rousseau. She makes me all giddy and my heart warm and whenever I'm with her I find myself giggling like a teenage girl. And-"

"Nikolai." She whisper-shouted and I winked at her.

"And I like her a lot. But I think I already said that bit." Everyone looked at me in silence before looking at each other in confusion.

They continued to stare for a second longer before going back to what they were doing before. I saw Dad in the corner, watching me. His jaw was clenched as he shook his head before leaving. I jumped down from the table and stood in front of Mar.

"See, princess, no one cares." Her cheeks were a darker shade and I started to laugh at her, making her use her hands to cover her face. I pulled her hands away and she looked up at me, tilting her head slightly.