-twenty seven-

AMARI ROUSSEAU

I felt my heart sink to my stomach when I realised Niko was in the same place I had been taken to after being kidnapped. He kissed along the marks on my wrists and I took a step back from him, pulling my hands out of his.

"Why are you here? How did you know I was taken?" I asked, looking up at him.

"Princess, you have to believe me, I didn't want you finding out like this." He said quietly as he cupped my cheeks. All I could do was continue to look at him in confusion, my eyes darting around his face when his eyes stared to tear up.

"Niko, what's wrong, speak to me."

"They work for me." He mumbled.

"Why the fuck would you have me kidnapped?" I asked in disbelief.

"I didn't tell them to, you witnessed them whilst they were working, they had to bring you in."

"Nikolai, why are people who work for you murdering and kidnapping people?" I pulled his hands from my cheeks and stepped away from him again.

"I was gonna tell you, I promise I was."

"Tell me what?" I yelled.

"My family is the head of the mafia, I run it." I laughed and shook my head in denial. That's not fucking funny. Why would he even say that? "I didn't want you to find out like this."

"You're being serious?" His silence told me all I need to know and I felt my eyes instantly fill with tears as I let out a shaky breath. Niko took a step closer and I took one back in turn, keeping him at arm's length.

"Please don't be mad at me."

"Don't be mad? Nikolai, I watched someone get murder, there was blood and brains splattered everywhere and now I'm finding out you that that's what you do for a living. We've been together for months, you didn't breathe a word of this.

It sounds very much like a deal breaker to me but you didn't think that was something I'd needed to know?"

My mouth dropped open, not knowing what else to say but my hands found my braids and pulled at them slightly. I had tears pouring from my eyes at this point. "Oh my- that's why your dad had a gun when we went for dinner at there's." I said, finally piecing it together.

I wanted to ask Niko about it but I kept trying to convince myself over and over that it was nothing and there was probably a reasonable explanation for his dad to being walking around with a gun.

"You saw that?"

"I just assumed he had it to protect himself because of how much money you guys have. I'm so fucking stupid for not even questioning it." I froze and slowly turned to him. "Was it you?"

"What?"

"The night Danny got beaten up and robbed was the same night I kissed him. Did you order for that to happen?"

"Of course not, he's your bestfriend, why would I do that to him? How crazy do you think I am?"

"You run a mafia, Nikolai, so I'd say really fucking crazy."

"Princess, please-"

"Don't call me that, please don't, because I really- I don't wanna hear it, Niko. You've lied to me for ages. Your whole family has; smiling to my face and laughing at me behind my back because you all knew what I didn't. Every single one of you kept such a big part of your lives away from me."

"Mar-"

"Nikolai, I'm tired. I don't wanna do this anymore."

"What's that supposed to mean?"