-forty two-

AMARI ROUSSEAU

"Ma, Nana picked us up today." Manny said, running through the door with Claire in tow, Sely, Millie and Myles close behind.

"I know, baby." I said, hugging all of them, saying hi. "Thank you for collecting them." I said to Claire.

"It's my pleasure, you know that."

"Millie, Myles."

"Yes, pretty lady?" Myles said and his sister nudged him.

"Uncle Nik said you should stop calling her that because she's his girlfriend."

"Uh-uh. She's my girlfriend. I'm going to marry her when I'm older."

"You're not marrying my ma." Manny shouted, making Myles roll his eyes. I only laughed at them before speaking.

"Your dad's upstairs in his office, go say hi."

"Ok. I like your shirt, it's pretty." They said in sync before running upstairs. They usually say things at the same time and I don't know if they do it on purpose just to creep people out or it's just one of those twin things that just happens.

"Where's Dad?" Manny asked.

"He's in the kitchen. Mae made dinner for everyone too so go and wash your hands first."

"Come on, Sely."

"Baby, I need to speak to her first and then she'll come. Take Claire with you, she can make sure you wash them properly." I said, noticing Sely looked like she was going to burst from excitement.

"I do wash them properly!" My eyebrows furrowed as he yelled.

"I know you've been pretending to wash them, Manny. You turn on the tap, watch the water run and then come out 30 seconds later. You're not sneaky go do it." He rolled his eyes at me and pouted angrily. "I don't know where you picked up that attitude from but it better stop." He rolled his eyes at me again.

"Manny, stop rolling your eyes at your mother." Claire said sternly and he muttered an apology before storming off. "I'll speak to him, don't worry about it." I nodded at her as she took the twins with her before I turned to Sely.

"Hey, you. How was school?"

"I made so many friends, Mari." She said excitedly.

"See, I told you everyone would love you." Her smile faltered slightly as Ryan, Ant and Jeremy walked in. "He's a bit moody. He didn't want to leave the car so Ant had to speak to him." I sighed quietly to myself as Ryan angrily threw down his bag and stormed passed me and up the stairs.

"Ryan!" I called out after him.

"Leave him for a bit, Mar, he's had a long day."

"What happened?"

"Turns out Mrs Knox is his teacher this year."

"She's still alive?" I asked in shock. Mrs Knox was my English teacher when I was in high school, she was also Ant's last year. She was an absolute bitch, the teacher everyone hated, both students and staff.

To how she managed to stay teaching for as long as she has is beyond me. The woman is like seventy years old, I don't know why she hasn't just given up and retired.

"Sadly, yes. I've spoken to some people in my year that have her for English again and I've heard she's worse than before. Apparently Alfred died, it's got her in a worst mood than usual." Jeremy said.

"Her cat? She's had him since she started her teaching career, he's probably used up all nine of his lives oh her. I'm sure even he was sick of her."

"Anyway, she wants to have a meeting with you, she's going to call you about Ryan."