Chapter 6: Girls are Weird

The next morning was rough. We went to the funeral and Ben and Bruce seemed to cling to my side as if I would break.

     Once the service was over and we finished at the grave site we all went to my favorite Mexican restaurant.

     "So Kat we thought about the rodeo." Ben said from next to me.

     "Oh my goodness! Can we go?" Jasmine's eyes widen with excitement as she bounced in the seat across from me.

     "We would like to tag along. However....." Ben sighed looking up at Pa. "Our brothers don't want to wait any longer on seeing Kat." I sighed he must have changed his mind from when I heard him and Pa talking. "If y'all don't mind having seven extra people tagging along. They would fly out and meet us there then we would stay in a hotel. I know you said you all camp."

     "We would love to meet the rest of the boys and if you don't want to get a hotel we have extra room in the RV and we have tents. The kids always end up staying in a tent, they like it better than the RV." Momma gave Ben a soft smile that always made anyone feel warm and welcome.

     That's when Bruce laughed from my other side. "Our family isn't built for camping ma'am. We will come and stay til bed time then go to the hotel."

     "Where will I stay?" I asked sheepishly. The idea of not staying with the Smiths makes me want to cry this might be the last time I get to be with them. My last rodeo maybe.

     "We have no intention of ever keeping the Smiths out of your life. However we know that it might be a while before you see them again. That being said I trust them enough and if you want to stay were they are staying I will allow it." Ben smiled down at me.

     I couldn't help it I jumped up out of my seat wrapping my arms around his neck squeezing tight. "Thank you Ben." I mumbled into his neck as he wrapped his arms around my waist.

     "I love you Kat and just want you to have a good childhood." He said into my hair.

     We all finished eating and just talked about the up coming weekend. I was so excited we were going to the rodeo.

The next morning was full of packing and getting ready to leave. We needed to be on the road by eleven to get there in time for sign-ups.

     "Kat come on hurry up and get Starbucks in you know she likes to go in first." Pa yelled from the barn as I put my saddle in the trailer. We had a fancy four horse trailer with living quarters. It had a bed, pull out couch and the table turned into a bed too. Most the time we convinced Momma and Pa to let us set up a tent. We always got to stay up long that way as long as we whispered. Plus we started sneaking out last year and partying with the other kids that camped out at the rodeo too. This trip we were close to a lake which made it even more fun.

     "Coming Pa." I said running to the barn and hooking her halter on. "Ready to go?" I asked kissing her nose as she snorted in response as I hooked the lead onto the halter and lead her to the trailer. Once everything was loaded up Pa checked all the doors to make sure they were latched.

     "Okay let's go get Momma and see if the boys are done with their work call." He said putting an arm around me and the other around Jasmine.

     "I can't wait to meet the rest of your brothers Kat! How bout you?" She asked as we walked into the kitchen.

     "I don't care Wes you're not staying home alone an entire weekend....... Why? Oh I don't know because you're fourteen.......... Get over it this is important to Kat there will be other times you can go surfing with your friends...... I said no Weston and that's final! Now go get your stuff ready you all have to leave in an hour!" Bens voice boomed on the phone with I assume one of our brothers. "I love you bud now stop being a pain for Sam or else when Logan and Reuben get back you will be even more upset." He hung up with a sigh looking up at us and meeting Pa's eyes. "Kids." He chuckled and shock his head.

     "Fourteen huh? I dread the teen years with these three. They have been pretty good preteens this one is starting to get a mouth on her." He said kissing Jasmines head.

     "Hey!" She said in disgust. "I am an Angel Daddy!" She looked in fake shock.

     "Only time you call me that is when you want something or are in trouble. So which is it now?" He chuckles grabbing a water out of the fridge.

     "I want you to know I am a perfect Angel, it's Jase who's the butt."

     That caused Pa and I to both laugh. Jase could be a pain but Jaz tended to get in more trouble.

     "I am not your the one always getting into trouble." Jason said coming into the kitchen.

     "That's enough!" Momma said coming in holding her purse. "All three of you are not Angels and have gotten in a far amount of trouble. Normally together might I add. Now stop this pointless bickering and let's go or else the boys will beat us there."

     "Finally we have more guys on the trip. We are normally out numbered. Ain't that right Pa?" Jason said fallowing Momma out the door.

     "Boy hush before you get knock upside your head by your Mother. I won't save you." Pa mumbled as my brother laughed.

     "Who you riding with Kat?" Bruce asked as we headed towards the vehicles.

     "You, but can Jaz ride with us?"

     "Sure won't Jason be upset?"

     "Are you kidding? An entire back seat to myself on a three hour drive? That will be Heaven." Jason yelled skipping to the truck as Jasmine and myself rolled our eyes at him.

     We got in the car with Bruce and Ben and started talking. We had been driving for about thirty minutes when Bruce looked at Ben.

     "Man this is weird I am not used to it."

     "What is?" Ben glance at his with a questioning look.

     "Girls." They both start laughing.

     "What you can't find girl that will put up with you?" I said causing Jaz and I both to laugh.

     "Little sis I will let you know that women love me."

     "Player." I coughed.

     "Watch it young lady." Ben scolded as Bruce turned and glared at me.

     "What I meant is we are used to teenage boys. Having two twelve year old girls giggling and gossiping in the back seat is weird. Do you all ever stop gossiping? I mean I am pretty sure I know everyone at your school now from home much you two have been talking." Bruce asked causing Ben to chuckle.

     "Oh that was all about our cheerleading team this past week." Jasmine shrugged.

     "You two haven't been to school in a week. How could the past thirty minutes be about this past week?" Ben asked glancing in the rear view mirror at us.

     "Snapchat." I said.

     "Instagram." Jaz piped in.

     "Group chat."

     "Tik tok."

     "Raising a teenage girl is going to be so much fun." Ben sighed shaking his head.

     We talked for a little bit longer then decided to watch a movie on Jasmine's phone putting in our air pods. The rest the way. Once at the rodeo we started to unload while Momma went to sign us in.

     "Kat we have to go the boy will be landing soon." Ben said looking at his phone.

     "Can't I stay?" I pouted. "They need help with the horses."

     "Kat we will be fine you need to go with the boys to get the rest of your brothers." Pa said patting my head causing me to sigh.

     "Fine let's go." I groaned walking towards Ben's car. It was time to meet the rest of my brothers.