Chapter 11: Goodbye

The morning came to quickly and Pa was waking us all up.

"Ben will be here soon but you three are going to help us with morning chores. As for you three." Pa turned from my brothers to Jase, Jas, and I. "We will talk about it when we get done with the horses."

"Yes sir." The three of us said and headed out the trailer to the barn. A lot of people were already up and at the barn getting stuff packed up. Most of the teens we past were walking stiffly and looked like they didn't have a good night. Others looked like us waiting for the timer to tick down before the bomb exploded. But we all had one thing in common we walked around with our heads down doing what needed to be done.

"Okay boys pick someone to go with and help. You better be working or else. After the horses are fed I need the tack room carried to the trailer." Pa said walking away. Sam ended up coming with me, Jere with Jaz and Wes with Jase.

"Hey um Kat?" Sam said as he fallowed me into the tack room to get food.

"Yes?" I asked handing him a bucket and then pouring food into it.

"I am sorry about last night. I just feel really protective over you. I was eight when Mom took you and unlike the other two I remember you and her well. I cried, you probably don't remember but you were my little buddy. You would cry as a baby when I left the room. Needless to say I still feel the same about you as I did back then. You're my baby sister and I will always protect you." He said as we walked to Starbuck's stall.

"That's going to take some getting used too." I shrug as I go to muck her stall.

"Yeah I think a lot of things will. So Mr. Smith......." Sam looked up at me looking concerned.

"What about him?"

"Well a lot of kids were already getting spanked as they walked."

"Yeah? Your point? A lot of parents around these parts do that." I shrugged.

"Does Mr. Smith do that to you?"

"He has when I deserved it."

"Well that's good." He sighed in relief as I gave him an are you crazy look. "I just mean it won't be your first time when Ben gets a hold of us."

"Oh I see." I paused and looked at him. "Well that sucks but I am sure if Ben doesn't then Pa will. Pa is like my Dad and I love him but he is strict."

"Bens like that for us too. Well Ben and Reuben are. I was ten when Dad passed and Ben became our legal guardian. Reuben helped Ben so they raised us. Both of them can be strict in their own way." Sam shrugged.

"Well that sounds like so much fun." I groaned rolling my eyes causing Sam to chuckle.

We sat in a happy silence as I finished mocking the stall. Once I was done I walked over to Starbuck and wrapped my arms around her neck.

"You're going to miss her aren't you?" Sam asked looking from the corner.

"More than anything." I stood there for a few seconds then pulled away looking at Sam. He watched Starbuck move and he stiffened. "You should pet her she won't hurt you. Just don't walk right behind her."

He looked at me for a minute like I was crazy then looked at her. I could see the contemplation in his eyes as he slowly walked up to me.

"There you go now stick your hand out and pet her neck."

He shock his head. "She's starring at me."

I held in a laugh and tried my best to help. "Take a deep breath and calm down she feeds off your emotions." He took a deep breath and slowly stuck his hand out. "There you go she likes it when you rub like this." I showed him and he finally reached up and did it.