Chapter 8: What Could Go Wrong

Thee next morning Pa came out and woke us up much to our dismay. We all took turns showering and quickly got ready. Momma braided Jaz's and my hair.

     "Kids are you all ready? We need to get the horses feed and warmed up." Pa shouted from outside.

     "Why is he so damn chipper in the mornings?" Jase grumbled under his breath.

     "Because he gets to drink coffee in the mornings." Jaz huffed. She had been begging to drink coffee for months now, wanting to go to Starbucks before school but Momma and Pa refused and said we were too young.

     "I am starting to agree with you sis I think we should be able to drink coffee too." Jase nodded and slide on his boots.

     I rolled my eyes grabbing my cowgirl hat and heading out of the trailer.

     "Morning love." Momma said kissing my head and handing me a sausage biscuit that Pa got from McDonald's.

     "Pa I really think we should be allowed to drink coffee." Jase grumbled as he came out of the camper.

     "No way." Both Pa and Momma said causing them to laugh at each other.

     "You three are already a handful. I really don't want to add coffee to the mix." Pa shock his head talking a sip of his own.

     "Daddyyyy." Jaz whined coming out of the camper fully dressed.

     "Whenever you kids call me that you want something or you did something wrong." He sighed and rolled his eyes. "So my sweet girl what is it? What do you want? Or what am I about to get mad at?"

     "Coffee."

     "I know good darn well you heard me tell your brother no. Now why do you think I would change my answer for you?" He glared at her face that turned into a pout.

     "Because I am cuter and you like me the best." She said sticking her bottom lip out even more.

     "Hey! I am just as cute! Especially if I could get coffee out of it! And we all know Pa likes me the best. Every Dad loves his son more." Jase lightly shoved Jaz.

     "Y'all want to know who I like best right now?" He said and they both nodded. "The one and only kid that hasn't asked me for coffee and has been my quiet Angel." He said with a joking smirk and putting his arm around my shoulders.

     "That's cause she's not awake yet." Jase rolled his eyes.

     "Yeah if she had coffee she would be talking." Jaz agreed.

     "Plus she never talks in the mornings cause she grumpy. She's not a morning person and she would rather be silent than get her butt whooped." Jase shock his head as he shoved the rest of his McGriddle in his mouth then grabbing a water bottle. "Let's just go to the barn already. There is no point Jaz we will never get to drink coffee until we move out." Momma laughed and shock her head as he headed to the barn.

     Jaz, Pa and I fallowed as he looked at me curious. "Is that true?"

     "Is what true?" I asked confused.

     "That you don't talk in the mornings cause your scared you will get spanked?"

     "No I don't talk in the mornings cause I know I will." I chuckled but looked at Pa to see his worry line form across his head.

     "I mean I know I am strict but I don't want that to be how you think of me. I love you and just want what's best for you kids."

     "Pa it's not like that. Most the time you spanked me growing up was when I woke up. You would say that I needed to go back to bed and get out on the right side of the bed. I was so lost and tried my hardest to wake up and make sure that I would get out on the right side but it never worked. I asked Momma and she explained that it just meant I needed to wake up not so grumpy. When I said I couldn't do that she said if I felt like I wanted to yell at Jaz, Jase or give you two attitude to just take deep breaths and wait til I woke up more. She said that once I woke up more my feelings about the situation would probably change and most the time they would. She said it's like the saying if you don't have anything nice to say don't say anything at all. Well Pa in the mornings until I wake up all the way I don't have nice things to say. Plus I do talk just not where you can hear it. Most the time it's me being mean to Jase because he steals the bathroom to sink it up. I think he does it on purpose most mornings." I winked at Pa and his face went from worry to a laugh.