Chapter 9: The Rodeo

We spent the rest of the morning getting ready. It was finally time for the rodeo. I road Starbuck to the ring when I saw Mr. Blake walk up.

     "Kat we need someone to sing the national anthem. Will you do it?"

     I nodded. "Sure no problem." I get off Starbuck and hand my reins to Pa fallowing Mr. Blake into the arena. He got everyone's attention and introduced me then handing me the mike. I took a deep breath looking around at the crowed then started to sign. I don't know why I felt so nervous though the song. I sang the national anthem at a lot of rodeos but this time felt different. So many things have happened in the last week. This could be my last rodeo and that thought as I sing makes my eyes water. As it hit the last line I feel the tears fall. Once I was done the crowed cheered and I made my way back to Pa and Starbuck.

     "You did so good baby girl." Pa said pulling me into a hug when I got close enough.

     "Thanks Pa." I smiled.

     "Now get out there and kick some tail." He smiled as I climbed on Starbuck. We waited for our event watching the others from the sidelines. When it was finally our turn I looked up to the sky.

     "Lord please keep us safe and give us speed." I prayed and then directed Starbuck into the arena. I took a deep breath and gently kicked her side clicking my tongue giving her the signal to go. As she ran she picked up the speed with each stride racing to the barrel. We were flying as we spun around the barrels with ease. Once we round the last barrel she headed straight as I pulled back on the reins. "Whoo girl." I said as we neared Pa who was at the exit of the arena with a big grin.

     "You did your run in fifth teen point thirty seconds!" He cheered. Sending shock through me. It was a new record.

     "Whoooo folks it looks like our little miss Katherine Kensington just set a new record!" The announcer said coming over the speakers causing the crowed to cheer loudly. What a way to spend my last rodeo. For the second time today I felt my tears build up then fall.

     I leaned down dropping my reins and hugging Starbucks neck. "Good girl." We sat there for a minute and then I sat up.

     "Go take her back to her stall and let her cool down." Pa ordered and I nodded.

     The rodeo went on and instead of being in the stands like I normally do I spent time with Starbuck.

     "Hey Kat Matt said Jason is about to go." Ben pulled my attention from my thoughts.

     "Okay I am coming." I stood up from the floor of Starbuck's stall and walked to the door getting out.

     "You did good out there today. I didn't know you could sing like that." Ben quickly tore away the awkward silence.

     "Nothing that amazing." I shrugged.

     "Are you kidding you were awesome!" He smiled pulling me into a half hug as we walk.

     We watched Jason and he did great roping. Once it was over we headed back to the camper so the three of us could clean up.

     "So we are going to a bar?" Ben asked as I came out of the camper.

     "Yes but for one night they open it up for kids to come. It's a line dancing bar, they have a band and dancing. They give all the underage kids a stamp so they only serve them soda. They do it every year and the sherif will be there too." Pa tried to explain.

     "It's also a restaurant they have little things to eat like sides and stuff." Momma added.

     "Sounds like fun." Logan shrugged. "Can we just fallow you?"