Layla: The Cabin

Layla

I awoke and felt like my head was as heavy as lead. I felt weak, like I should be hungry but was also repulsed by the thought of food. I looked around at my surroundings, it was morning, based on the golden sunlight that illuminated the room. I was in the room that Mr. Williams had shown me the previous day. When I got out of bed, my body felt weak. I felt as though my legs would collapse underneath me. I reflexively looked at my legs, I noticed that I had been wearing yesterday's clothes still. "Why didn't I change into my pajamas?" I thought. I heard a knock on my door and called out "Come in"

The door slowly opened and Mr. Williams revealed himself. Mr. WIlliams was in a new outfit as he had already gotten ready for the day. How late was it? "Layla," Mr. Williams said quietly. "I have come to check on you and your head injury." Mr. Williams continued. I lifted my hand to the source of my head pain and felt a bandaid. When had that happened? I didn't remember hitting my head. Something in me reflexively felt scared.

"What happened?" I asked, I felt dazed and groggy.

"What was the last thing you remember Layla?" Mr. Williams asked, his head slightly tilted to one side. Mr. Williams closed the space between them and started looking me over. Mr. William's eyes were intense when he focused on my bandaid, but his eyes softened when he looked the rest of me over.

"I remember...uh...I think I remember getting here. I remember you showing me this room and I possibly have bits of memories of you making pasta. I can't for the life of me remember after." I said, I started growing more and more frustrated, It physically hurt my head to try and remember, and soon enough my temple started throbbing. Mr. Williams looked to the bathroom and then back at me.

"Last night, when I was making dinner, you wanted to call Sebastian, you returned here. You were gone for a while, dinner was ready and I came to check on you. I found you on the floor of your bathroom with a gash on your temple. I think your head injury has affected your memory, I was hoping it wouldn't. Once I got you fixed up, I monitored you for a few hours to check for concussion symptoms." Mr. Wiliams explained. I tried to remember, but could only remember bits and pieces. The pieces of my memory were very foggy.

"Do I need to go to the hospital?" I asked, if my head injury was severe enough for memory loss, surely I would have to.

"I don't see any reason for it" Mr. Williams answered, he kind of had a hint of panic in his voice. "I thoroughly cleaned the wound and kept watch for any troubling signs. You'll just have to take it easy the next few days."

At least Bash will be here this afternoon, he will take care of me and come to my defense. "Are you up for any breakfast?" Mr. Williams asked excitedly. I'm not feeling too hungry, but I am sure I could eat a few bites, I still feel a bit queasy. I took a wobbly step forward towards Mr. Williams and the door but my legs couldn't hold me steady. Mr. Williams reached for me and helped to steady me. I felt so embarrassed. I felt like an imposition.

"Are you okay, Layla?" Mr. Williams asked, his arms under mine creating a foundation for me. "Yes," I said confidently, well as confidently as I could. "I just need to find my balance." Mr. Williams watched me for my next move. "I am going to get ready for the day and then I'll be right there Mr. Willaims," I said, I started feeling better, and I started feeling stronger. I took a step back and leaned against the bed.

"You don't have to change if you're not feeling up to it Layla," Mr. Williams said reassuringly. I know he was just being polite because I could smell myself. I had been wearing these clothes for nearly 24 hours, and they smelled so.

"I'll be there soon, I promise," I said, trying to take another step away from him, I was trying to protect him from my stench.

"If you take too long, I'll come searching for you Layla." Mr. Williams said jokingly as he headed for the door. Mr. Williams turned to look at me again and then closed the door behind him. I could hear his footsteps retreating. I looked around the room and tried to find my phone. I wanted to know if I had called Sebastian before my tumble. I couldn't seem to find it anywhere. I looked in my bags, the bed, and the bathroom. I looked under the bed in case it had fallen, but still no luck. After a bit, I figured I had probably put it somewhere while dazed and forgotten it. If I didn't come out soon, Mr. Williams would come looking for me and I didn't want to face him yet again as disheveled as I was.