Layla: Living in the Cabin

Layla

I stepped out into the empty cabin. I felt as though I was alone and I didn't feel a sense of someone watching me so I was put at ease. I walked over to the table where my plate still remained. I took the plate to the kitchen and set it on the counter. I took this time to go through all of the cabinets. One cabinet had plates, small plates, bowls, and matching cups. The dishes all looked ceramic. The next cabinet over had kitchenware. I saw mixing bowls, measuring cups, Tupperware, and Ziploc bags. I found cling wrap and aluminum foil. The next cabinet had the fancy stuff. Wine glasses with a stem and without, champagne glasses, and shot glasses. This cabinet had empty shelves. I wonder what we were going to fill this cabinet with. Next, I started going through the drawers. I found where we keep the silverware and kitchen utensils and we had a drawer where the miscellaneous stuff went (apple slicer, egg slicer, ice cream scoop). The cupboards under the counters held cooking pots and pans. I also found an electric kettle, toaster, and rice cooker tucked away. I noticed that there wasn't actually much counter space. The kitchen made up a little "L" and there seemed to be an open enough space to have a little table that could either be used for prep or as a little breakfast nook. I looked around and saw there were two stacked ovens, a sink, a microwave, and a separate electric stove. On the counter, there was a bowl of fresh fruit. Honeycrisp apples, Bananas, and clementines were arranged in such a way that I had to feel them to make sure they were real- they were.

There was a big tall cupboard, I opened that too. It was filled with food. The top shelf was filled with sweet treats like cosmic brownies and little Debbies. Sharing the top shelf were snack foods like dried fruit, almonds, energy bars, and beef jerky. The next shelf housed the breakfast foods. Cereal, pancake mix, pop tarts, oatmeal. The next shelf was all carbs. I found so many different pasta noodles, rice, and ramen. The next shelf had canned corn, peas, green beans, peaches, and pears. Tucked under one of the cans of corn was a piece of paper. I unfolded the piece of paper and it was a handwritten note in Mr. Williams' handwriting that said "These are temporary, when I am able to make it out more often, I'll bring fresh produce" The bottom shelf was supported by the floor was all drink things. I saw 2 liters of sprite, Coke, Fanta, and rootbeer. There were also containers of apple juice, grape juice, cranberry juice, and something V8 splash. Next to the ready-to-go drinks were boxes of different kinds of tea and hot cocoa packets. I used the cling wrap to wrap up the plate that Mr. Williams had made for me. I set it in the fridge for later.

I went through the fridge next. There were two half-gallon containers of sweetened almond milk, unsweetened almond milk, and chocolate almond milk. Mr. Williams really did his research. I am sort of lactose intolerant, I but will suffer through everything if it means I get ice cream. I saw containers of eggs, butter, chicken, beef, deli meat, lettuce, and condiments I was surprised the see whipped cream, cherries, and hot fudge. I looked at the freezer and couldn't help, but smile just slightly to myself. There was an Ice maker, pints of ice cream, and more meat frozen inside. I dug through the freezer a bit and found some pizza rolls. I took a moment to think about my situation. I appreciated that Mr. Williams had stocked the kitchen with food for me. Step one, day one, complete. I found one positive thing to say when Mr. Williams returned.

I looked around to the front door and noticed a safe. I was unphased by it and instead looked at the New DVD player that was next to a stack of movies. I looked at my new collections and found Phantom of the Opera, Pride and Prejudice, all of The Lord of the Rings (extended editions), all Harry Potter movies, all of Twilight, and several other movies. In the next stack were complete T.V. shows on DVD. Parks and Rec, Downton Abbey, Pretty Little Liars, Game of Thrones. Mr. Williams had all my favorite material. Most of these brought me more comfort rather than entertainment. I guess I have nothing but time in this cabin. I appreciated that Mr. Williams would be so considerate. I wanted to start watching something, but I continued on through the cabin. The main open area was just two couches that faced each other with a coffee table in between them. I looked beyond them and looked at the dining table. Sleeves had been taken out so the table no longer took up the whole space. Instead, it was a table that would fit two people perfectly. I looked to the left bookshelf and found games. There was chess, dominoes, checkers, clue, monopoly, and several decks of cards along with stacks of puzzles. I looked closer at the top shelves that were empty and saw another slip of paper. In Mr. Williams's handwriting, I read "This can be where your DVD collection goes. Make a list of any more that you would like."